Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Annick Goutal Eau de Monsieur

I once gifted this fragrance to Fred who hasn't really worn it, which is fine, of course, because no one should have to tolerate a scent one doesn't care for. He prefers Nuits d'Hadrien in the Annick Goutal line, and even better because so do I. It's not that Annick Goutal Eau de Monsieur (1981) isn't a fine fragrance--it's just that I think both of us find it just a bit musky and heavy, not sweet at all yet slightly oppressive when worn. It is a very refined and elegant scent for men, albeit intense, and I like to smell it in the bottle, to imagine it worn with a cable knit sweater under a duffel coat in subzero weather. I smell mostly woods and citron in Eau de Monsieur, and with a lot of oakmoss in the mix, it has a simultaneously citrusy yet dark and resinous, classic Chypre character. For comparison, we love Chanel Pour Monsieur (Concentrée version with a fresher citrusy edge--the older green one from the '50s smells a bit too mossy and musty-unpleasant to me) very much, another masculine Chypre, but Annick Goutal Eau de Monsieur seems to lack the energetic, urbane modern chic character of the 1991 Chanel offering. We also both love Chanel Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne--maybe I should get him that next time (and that one, I would wear, too--aha!).

I believe there are some similar men's fragrances including Caron Alpona, Parfums de Nicolai New York, Guerlain Derby. They're not entirely similar, but I think they share that mossy, heavy classic vibe, although Annick Goutal Eau de Monsieur seems the most wearable of the bunch. If you like this scent, it's one of the more potent fragrances in this well-mannered line and a little goes a long way.

(Image: www.little-italy.ru)