Friday, June 06, 2008

Estée Lauder Knowing



Won't someone please elucidate what the knowledge behind this perfume called Knowing is supposed to be about? Is this an illuminati perfume fronted by '80s supermodel Paulina Porizkova, or is it meant to appeal to the collegiate crowd, like more Obama supporters than Clinton supporters are likely to be Knowing wearers? How many of those would you consider the snarkier type of enlightened Knowing wearers as opposed to the more down-to-earth, humble well-educated folks? Yes, statistics are silly and some people take them way too seriously, letting numbers get to their heads. Associations can work wonders for our egos, however, so we must choose our nominees and perfumes wisely. Knowing perhaps appeals most of all to competitive people--those who want something that says "I smell of old leather-bound BOOKS--citrus, honey, tobacco and patchouli notes make Dry Woods (Animalic Chypre)--get it?". Although the concept of smelling like a walking library is intriguing, Knowing is one of those perfumes I just can't seem to like, like I don't smell the appeal in Roma by Laura Biagiotti or Ultraviolet by Paco Rabanne. I don't know why, and if someone could give me an educated (or not so) guess, I'm open to ideas. Perhaps the head notes seem a bit too cool for me, almost minty (high notes = high minded? I'm working that law of similarity). Knowing is, simply put, too animalic and perfumey-strong for me. I also don't find the twisty bottle appealing in the least, but I think I need to begin my doctoral thesis at Harvard before I can understand the appeal of its symbolism, whatever that may be. I'll take one quick guess and say it looks serpentine to me, besides pretty obviously looking like an old tasseled leather-bound book...of spells.


The blurb on Bloomingdales.com: " Introduced in 1988, Knowing is a deep, woody fragrance with a European sensibility. Heady and exciting, it has great style without even trying."

Notes on Amazon.com: Estée Lauder Knowing (1998) - Animalic, Floral-Chypre, Fruity. Designed by Estee Lauder in 1988, Knowing is a refined, woody, mossy fragrance. Its fragrant nature explores essences of coriander, orange and lily of the valley. Blended with notes of cardamom, honey and musk, Knowing is recommended as an evening fragrance.

(Image: Knowing parfum mini, www.scentserely.com)