Friday, June 20, 2008

Shulton Old Spice


I enjoy some vintage advertisements, and here's one I found through a popular search engine of classic men's Old Spice (1938) by Shulton (New York, Toronto). Shulton is an American brand (they also made Cie cologne) now acquired by Proctor & Gamble. I didn't know until tonight that there was an Early American Old Spice for women launched in 1937 (source: Now Smell This); I wonder how similar it smelled to this version we all know. The word in perfumistaville is that many women adore Old Spice, not only as a scent for men but for themselves. Being a classic spicy Oriental fragrance, it's not far off from Yves Saint-Laurent Opium or Calvin Klein Obsession in its overall effect.

I definitely like this vintage ad better than the image of the girl eating ice cream that was supposed to be a parody of sexist advertising but ended up being a bit tasteless, too...well, good try, P&G--I'm glad someone took on those horribly sexist ads out there. I appreciate the effort, even though it was curiously only printed in men's magazines.

As for the scent, it's self-explanatory, but I might add that the spiciness is specifically that of carnations, which is similar to the spiciness of cinnamon or clove (cinnamon is also a listed note, so it's a combination of both). Basenotes lists these notes:

Top Notes: Orange, Lemon, Spices, Clary Sage, Aldehydes
Heart Notes: Cinnamon, Carnation, Geranium, Jasmine, Heliotrope, Pimento Berry
Base Notes: Vanilla, Musk, Cedarwood, Frankincense, Benzoin, Tonka, Ambergris

I've also just now read on Wikipedia that they've replaced the nice opaque white glass bottles with plastic. That's a shame--I dearly wish they'd bring back the heavy glass bottle, part of its charm and timeless aesthetic.

(Image: www.wasp101.blogspot.com)