Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Some Thoughts on Gay Marriage, No Fault Divorce

I know that if I had gay children, I would still love them and accept them. I also think any way of making it easier for a loved one to survive economically when the partner has gone is a good idea. I'd want that same security for my children. For the people who are afraid the next step after permitting gay marriage is permitting incestual marriages, as much as I can understand the fear (and I think we should never allow that, God forbid), I don't think "gay" and "family member" are interchangable or even comparable. As for those who are now afraid of allowing gay clergy, since when have some members of clergy not been gay?

Now, I'll tell you what's really blown my mind is learning that New York is the only state in the USA where no-fault divorce isn't permitted. There are two sides: one that says no fault makes it easier for a man to dump his wife and kids. Another point of view says it makes it more difficult to prove wrongdoing in situations where women are being abused. As with many complex situations, this one's also easy to see from more than one side.

Congratulations to all the happy couples who married in San Fran today! Same-sex marriages validly performed in other jurisdictions are entitled to recognition in New York State.