Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ava Luxe Palisander

I came across this fabulous Brazilian rosewood blend today while rummaging through my sample collection. It's a soliflore type of blend (focused on one note even if it's a blend of many notes) and the rosewood (palisander) comes across clearly. Alone, rosewood essential oil tends to smell simultaneously sweet and rich as well as flowery and fresh with a slightly medicinal tone, hitting the midrange and top range as if a string was struck carrying overtones in its sound; in this case, the high notes tend to smell almost like neroli to me--a bit citrusy even though it's not really citrus. In Ava Luxe Palisander, this rosewood note is beautifully rounded out and perfected with other notes, bringing out the best of the resinous and elegant rosewood character and tempering some of its wild, herbaceous hippie New Age shop smell. Compared to Comme des Garçons Palisander, I'd say Ava Luxe's version is less incensey and more like pure wood. Although this is only the second fragrance I've smelled from this extensive line (I've tried Film Noir - would love to try Venus Sands), I'm glad to have found this one and look forward to discovering more.

Notes on Ava Luxe's site on Etsy.com:
Palisander wood (from renewable sources), Japanese Hiba wood, Amber, Incense, Musk, Pink Pepper, Cinnamon, Vetiver