Friday, July 11, 2008

Guerlain Iris Ganache

This is my third testing of Guerlain Iris Ganache, and I think it's finally grown on me. It's not exactly passion but more like admiration from afar, in the way I might think about Chanel No.5 - it'll turn my head, not with true desire but with respect and recognition of its worldly status. It's a superficial kind of love but it occupies my mind for the time being. I still think of Iris Ganache as a cross between Comptoir Sud Pacifique Amour de Cacao and Estée Lauder Pleasures (that's roughly Cocoa Puffs + carrots) and ladylike face powder (make up or maquillage smell), but I'm smelling more chocolate now in the summer heat. The combination of iris and chocolate is a very unique one, and I appreciate the artistry of the concept. Something about the scent of Iris Ganache reminds me of Japan, or my Japanese upbringing generally speaking; perhaps I'm remembering some candy-like powdery scent I associate with Hello Kitty erasers or something. However, Iris Ganache has an overall perfumey elegance I can compare to Hermès Kelly Caleche or Dior Homme more than children's stationery goods--if Hello Kitty ever really grew up, her signature perfume just might be Iris Ganache.

(Edited to add) Although I wouldn't say it's as aldehydic as Chanel No.5, I think of it as an Aldehydic Floral-Gourmand--does that make sense? Right now, I'm loving it more and more as I find it elegantly chocolatey, light and dry. To compare it to a couple of other perfumes in a similar vein, it's less powdery, more chocolatey and floral than Annick Goutal Eau de Charlotte, and more "rooty" than Jo Malone Blue Agava & Cacao. Finally, I'd say Iris Ganache is to me like a summer version of Frédéric Malle Iris Poudre. (Edited) OK, here's another update: I thought I might want this fragrance but it turns out it reminds me of Chantecaille Frangipane which I already have.

Notes on Bois de Jasmin:
Guerlain Iris Ganache (2007) - bergamot, iris butter, white chocolate, floral notes, cinnamon, patchouli, white musks, cedarwood and vanilla
(Image: Le Critique de Parfum)