Friday, September 12, 2008

Crème Brûlée



I have a passion for all things vanilla and custard, and among my favorite desserts of all time is Crème Brûlée, preferably without embellishments such as fruits and chocolate. Being a Gourmand lover, I also like to wear the scent of Crème Brûlée as perfume, provided it's rendered well. I've tried a handful of different Crème Brûlée blends, and so far, these are my top picks, but I'm sure I'll be testing more of them in the future. Here are my brief takes on some of the Crème Brûlée fragrances that have recently rocked my world:

I'm very addicted to this stuff. Laura Mercier Crème Brûlée is just about the most delicious-smelling thing on earth, but I prefer it in sugar scrub form than as an eau de toilette. The EDT smells a bit too strong and ozonic to me, similar in effect to an etailer scent I once almost loved enough to buy called "Vanilla Ice Cream" (but they are very similar if you feel like tracking down the lesser known and more affordable fragrance). In scrub form, the scent is milder and much more tolerable. Even the scrub is intensely scented, so after showering with it, I don't feel the need to reinforce the scent with EDT (it doesn't last too long, though). I usually only wash with Dr. Bronner pure castile soap, but every now and then when I choose to deviate, Laura Mercier Crème Brûlée's got my back.


The Sephora brand Crème Brûlée was a big surprise to discover. I wouldn't have tried it except a very lovely daughter of a good friend wore it once and I thought she was wearing Pink Manhattan Purrfume! It smelled so yummy! She revealed that it was Crème Brûlée, and that it wasn't a perfume but a lotion by Sephora. I later found out this Crème Brûlée line was discontinued by Sephora, but I was able to get the dry oil on eBay. It's very sweet and creamy-smooth, maybe more butterscotch-like than actual Crème Brûlée, but it smells great once it settles down. It's very similar to the Laura Mercier, a soft and mellow scent. They really need to bring this scent back. (PS: I didn't like the bubble bath in this scent at all.)


Here's another discontinued scent, and although I'm glad to have it, I could have done without it because it smells a bit too butterscotchy to me. This Crème Brûlée by Laurence Dumont really smells just like those butterscotch candies I grew up eating - not the really refined and delicious Werther's candies but those yellow-orange candies wrapped in cellophane. Once you've tasted those Werthers, it's hard to go back to plain ol' butterscotch. As far as being a Crème Brûlée scent goes, it's not caramelly enough for me, but it's off the richter scale as far as sweetness is concerned. It's a bit...OK, obnoxiously strong - but if strength is what you want in a scent, this might be your creme brulee.

(Images: www.bergdorfgoodman.com, www.sephora.com)