Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Guerlain Nahéma Revisited



About 7 years ago, I'd ordered a vintage parfum unsniffed after having read so much about this perfume, and upon its arrival, I was struck by the loveliness of the "teardrop" motif bottle (pictured at left) and jewel-toned box, as well as by the scent within. The first time I smelled Nahéma, I couldn't believe how beautiful it really smelled. I remember declaring on perfume forums that it was the most beautiful perfume I'd ever smelled, and I still believe it's an olfactory masterpiece and treasure, one of my favorite perfumes of all time, so much so, if pressed, I probably could live on Nahéma alone. Even though Jean-Paul Guerlain had originally created Nahéma in honor of Catherine Deneuve, I always think of Shirley Manson who is known to wear it (and she must wear it extraordinarily well). I'm neither Catherine nor Shirley, but now that the weather has turned cooler, Nahema is perfect to wear, and I can really smell the robust red roses recreated in this fragrance with a flush of passion fruit and deep, ambery-vanillic Oriental accents. Imagine edible rose petals atop spiced and wine-glazed peaches and ice cream, eaten by the fire. Add to all that romance, sex appeal, hedonistic laughter and the gilded rays of the late summer sun, and Nahéma is even more than all that (I'm talking early '80s more). I made it sound like "too much" but it's actually a very lovely and elegant, honeylike and velvety "warm skin" fragrance. Roses and I don't always get along, but right now, Nahéma and I are having the love affair of a lifetime.

Although Guerlain Nahéma can be classified as a Floral Oriental, it is most often classified as an Aldehydic Floral.

Notes on Tangled Up In L'Heure Bleue blog:

Guerlain Nahéma (1979)
Head Notes: Peach, bergamot, hesperidic notes.
Heart Notes: Hyacinth, Bulgarian rose, ylang-ylang, jasmine, lilac.
Bottom Notes: Balsam, vanilla, vetiver, sandalwood, tonka.


Read more about Guerlain Nahéma on Tangled Up In L'Heure Bleue: Nahéma, Daughter of Fire.

(Image: Guerlain Nahéma advertisement, 1981)