Friday, September 19, 2008

September Top 20



In an economically turbulent time, when a $6 bottle of maple syrup is worth its weight in gold and a handful of blueberries costs nearly $5, a whiff of the perfect perfume that's been in my collection for so long brings a moment of contentment to my heart. The weather is slightly cooler today, and Autumn in New York is around the bend. As we step into Fall '08, I find myself wearing a whole lot of Chanel No.5. Is it that No.5 seems to be the most practical perfume, one that can carry me through almost any social situation from morning till night, or that it's the ultimate classic scent of sophistication (or, if you prefer, odor of elitism) that sends out a message of both strength and softness at once? Perhaps it's true that uncertainty makes us desire familiarity. However we perceive No.5, Chanel is still here, and so are the many choices of Aldehydic Florals following in its kittenish glamorous steps. Here are some of my current favorite scents I've been wearing this month, including some oddball choices to keep life just unpredictable enough that it stays interesting:

1. Chanel No.5
2. Guerlain Liu
3. Guerlain Cuir Beluga
4. Frederic Malle Iris Poudre
5. Frederic Malle Une Fleur de Cassie
6. Guerlain L'Instant
7. Chanel No.22
8. Heeley Iris de Nuit
9. Guerlain L'Heure Bleue
10. Caron En Avion
11. Nina by Nina Ricci
12. Kate by Kate Moss
13. Paco Rabanne Calandre
14. Caron Nocturnes
15. Penhaligon's Artemisia
16. Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
17. Amouage Gold
18. Serge Lutens Un Lys
19. Demeter Junior Mints
20. Guerlain Metallica

(Edited to say) I am still very much in love with Hermès Un Jardin Après la Mousson but I think it's better suited for a hot summer day.

Now, I must admit I detect some white musk in the Heeley which is starting to turn me off, and I don't know how long I'll have it in my Top 10; however, until I find a replacement iris, it's the closest thing to my soliflore iris holy grail. I'm still waiting to try Creed Floralie which I believe is launching (or has already launched) this Fall. I have yet to try Chanel Beige but a sample is coming to me soon, along with a small decant of Kilian Straight to Heaven. What else? Oh, yes, I've recently noticed that the reissued Guerlain Liu EDP is very similar to Guerlain Metallica (Metalys) but lighter and decidedly more aldehydic. I'm also wearing Metallica again, but I recently received a comment that it smells like ramen on me, which of course is most unappetizing to hear. It's a lovely scent and I'm sure I'll get over it. I'm still dreaming of bottles of Guerlain Cuir Beluga and Caron En Avion, although my stash of Chanel No.5 parfum is low and I think it'll have to come first - we'll see how long this brand new love (again) of classic powdery scent shall last.

Have a peaceful weekend, everyone.

(Image: Catherine Deneuve in a Chanel No.5 body creme ad, 1979)