Friday, October 31, 2008

A Halloween Top 20 List


Fay Wray, 1930s Queen of Scream



I posted the pictures of Jacomo Silences (1978), ad and logo, even though the perfume's not one of my favorites, because I thought the vibe was kind of eerie, very Halloween-like. The name alone - Silences - creeps me out, like I wanna jump out of my skin and SCREAM at the designer who'll silence me, but the scent is actually pretty nice: a Green Floral (with that 1970s aldehydic-chypre thing going on), like a Chanel No.19 (1970) imposter. Anyway, I figured Halloween would be as good a time as any to make another Top 10 Favorites List, so here you have it. In fact, I got carried away in the spirit of things (ooh, bad pun and all) and made it a Top 20 just as I'd made back in September. It's not really in definitive sequential order, since I love many of these perfumes equally, and you'll see some of my loves from the last list didn't make it this time. I make no apologies for my fickle nature, but you'll also see some of my favorites keep coming back as staples in my wardrobe. Currently, rich white florals, ladylike Aldehydic Florals and deep Orientals have me swooning like the leaves in vibrant, passionate shades.

I'll start the list with none other than my own creation which I'm wearing today, because I want that dark, brooding, passionate and sophisticated vibe (available on my website at www.salioguri.com in very limited quantity). In truth, I could have gone with any on my list and it would have suited the mood, but I'm finding these dark fruits dipped in dark chocolate-ambery woods, cooled by hyacinth and touched by plush, velvety magnolia petals, most enchanting and bewitching in that modern-gothic way. Waft beautifully~ Happy Halloween!

1. Sali Oguri Persephone New York
2. Annick Goutal Gardenia Passion
3. Guerlain Nahema
4. Caron Nuit de Noel
5. Guerlain Cuir Beluga
6. Chanel No.5
7. Chanel Gardenia
8. Guerlain L'Instant
9. Nina Ricci Nina
10. Hermes Un Jardin Apres la Mousson
11. Guerlain Liu
12. Creed Spring Flower
13. Bond No.9 Saks Fifth Avenue For Her
14. Ralph Lauren Ralph Wild
15. Jean Patou Joy
16. Guerlain L'Heure Bleue
17. Caron En Avion
18. Chanel No.22
19. Marc Jacobs Daisy
20. Frederic Malle Une Fleur de Cassie

P.S. - I've been back in the recording studio, so I'll be posting less often, but I promise to be back periodically. Stay in touch! xo

(Images: www.freerepublic.com, www.jacomo.com, www.imagesdeparfums.fr/)