Thursday, November 06, 2008

Chanel Coco Mademoiselle



Sometimes, we understand perfumes better in retrospect. I didn't realize until recently that when I was smelling the fruity patchouli blends in Estee Lauder Pleasures Delight, Miss Dior Cherie, Betsey Johnson or Nina by Nina Ricci, I was smelling the descendants of Chanel Coco Mademoiselle. Now, I see that the patchouli trend wasn't just a result of Thierry Mugler Angel, but of the success of the spicy and fresh-fruity iconic fragrance launched in 2001. I tend to fall in love with this scent a couple of times a year and tire of it quickly. I've acquired and given away bottles of it over the years, so now, I live with a decant that's lasted me awhile. I still think it's a great scent - a bit peachy and orangey, extroverted and sweet in a sophisticated way, Coco Mademoiselle is definitely a modern classic that's here to stay.

Although this transparent-modern Fruity Chypre doesn't smell like the original Coco which is a richer, more floral, ambery Oriental fragrance, Coco Mademoiselle shares with Coco the peachy-orange spice aspect juxtaposed by a rosy heart and a warm, wooded base. I also think it resembles Chanel Chance, except Chance to me smells less patchouli-heavy, and more powdery-chalky in comparison. My Mom thinks Chance smells spicy, although it doesn't register that way to me. Coco Mademoiselle, however, smells like a spiced fruit, in an autumnal, somewhat comforting way.