Monday, November 03, 2008

Pre-Election Insomnia and More Thoughts On Nuclear Energy

Democrats take issue with McCain nuclear comments, The Associated Press, Article Launched: 11/02/2008 02:59:25 PM PST, www.mercurynews.com

The Nuclear Option, The Thin Green Line, www.sfgate.com

Less than two days before the US presidential election, I have McCainbaracksomnia. McCain says, "Obama says nuclear power "has to be safe, environment, blah blah blah"", and the crowd goes berserk. He can be a funny man with a good sense of comedic timing but often, his jokes aren't jokes to me. Either I'm missing the punchline or I'm not drinking enough Budweiser. In the meantime, I think I can fill in those dismissive blahs with three words: "for 40 years". That's approximately how long we're prepared to store nuclear waste - the 4% or so that's seen as non-renewable and just about negligible if you ask nuclear energy enthusiasts. Unfortunately, like small amounts of lead found in certain vinyl products, no amount is too small or negligible when it comes to our health. My concern remains the same throughout this debate: I believe it to be immoral to ignore and leave this cancer-causing radioactive waste to our offsprings. It's not fair to make them deal with health risks, potential spills and how to get rid of our waste. If it's sinful to leave financial debts to our children, how could we live with leaving them with nuclear waste we know not what to do with, yet would gamble on figuring out before we die? Have we ever really thought about the prospect of not having a planet with clean water and other things we take for granted, or are we willing to put it all on the roulette table? I'm not sure how committed Obama is to starting green energy jobs to fuel our energy and economy, as I also hope nuclear energy isn't secretly in the mix for his plans for our future, but whatever his plan is sounds better than 45 by 2030 - "let's build a whole bunch of them (nuclear plants)!" and "blah blah blah".

G-d Bless the USA. I pray the country votes intelligently and prudently this November 4th.