Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thank You, Bob Herbert (Again)

I'm always thanking Mr. Bob Herbert. I watched Hardball on MSNBC last night. Apparently, you're the only man with any balls in the business. Thank you for standing up against Dick Armey and his appallingly sexist rants against Joan Walsh who certainly held her own in the face of adversity. I'm glad Chris Matthews eventually said something (perhaps the producer or director urged him to), but it was you who set the standard of decency for the public airwaves by calling the sexism for what it was. What does Dick Armey mean when he says he wouldn't tolerate such prattle from his wife - how exactly does he silence her, I wonder? Dick Armey's brand of sexism is no less than bullying at best, at worst terrorism in our homes and offices and needs to be shamed out in the open. (Edited to add): Perhaps this is just that kind of show, in which case, I'd rather watch Countdown with Keith Olbermann.

When I was in 6th grade, I had an awful teacher who had auditioned the class to sing for a school play and had the class vote for who they thought would best fit each role. I had won the vote overwhelmingly to play the lead role, but this teacher decided Sandy in Grease had better be played by a blonde girl even if she couldn't win the vote. There was only one boy who stood up for me back then, confronting the teacher out loud in class for how she'd undone democracy in her own classroom. It made no difference to her because I was "convinced" by this teacher of being awarded the supporting role for artistic reasons - never mind being demoted to a lesser role for her racism- but I never forgot his heroism while no one else in the class has had a thing to say about the injustice, even to this day.

A hero doesn't have to do much except to be the voice in the wilderness, but sometimes, that's the hardest thing to do.