Saturday, January 17, 2009

Top 10 of January 2009

I'm sure by now you've seen or read the news coverage of the Miracle on the Hudson to know how frigid it's been here in NYC. Yesterday, temps were lower here than in Anchorage, Alaska. I hope everyone's finding ways to get toasty wherever you are, and that people are able to find the shelters, warm coats and working radiators they need to get through this brutally icy Arctic cold.

My January 2009 Top 10 list proves that changing temps influence my perfume choices. Right now, I've rediscovered Lea and I'm loving Lorenzo Villoresi Teint de Neige, both scents I'd always admired but often dismissed as too powdery and musky. The almost tactile density of these feel good to me now, like a blanket of warm, spun sugar snow. I'm also digging the hypersweet, creamy-spicy almond-vanillic strength of Dior Hypnotic Poison and the delicate-as-old-lace, woody-ambery peachy white floral skin scent of Penhaligon's Artemisia. I'm into musk these days, which as you may already know is atypical of me.

Here are the choices for my current '09 winter wardrobe (including my beloved decants and samples):

1. Penhaligon's Artemisia
2. Cacharel Noa
3. Lorenzo Villoresi Teint de Neige
4. Christian Dior Hypnotic Poison
5. Lea St. Barth
6. Twilight (who really makes this perfume - does anyone know?)
7. Frederic Malle Editions de Parfum Iris Poudre
8. Frederic Malle Editions de Parfum Musc Ravageur
9. Pucci Vivara
10. Jo Malone Blue Agava & Cacao

(Image: Jocelyn Vollmar as the Snow Queen, www.sfballet.org)