Monday, February 09, 2009

Fresh Mukki

I had heard this fragrance was discontinued but I just saw it up on Bergdorf Goodman's site, so perhaps they've brought it back. Well, thank goodness. This is a fantastic scent for those of you who like a soapy but soft, creamy scent. It's a bit hard to describe, but for me, there was some instant nostalgic feeling when I first smelled it, and funnily enough, I started thinking about the soapy-sharp perfumey scent of scratch-n-sniff Japanese "perfumes" in children's magazines (I get a similar memory trigger from smelling the newest Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey LE variation, A Drop of Cloud), and probably more accurately, hotel soaps. It's not as milky as you might expect because it's not sweet (like Fresh Milk Milk Soap, which is YUMMY), and the lactonic effect is not so much due to vanilla notes but a musk accord, no doubt with some woody notes in it like Donna Karan Cashmere Mist, but it is creamy smooth in a delicate, milled soap-floral perfumey way, reminiscent of Penhaligon's Castile. Sometimes the level of soapiness gets to be a bit much for me, but this kind of clean, I like - not detergentesque, not commercial Ivory soap-like, but like a fine bar of soap for the luxury market.

Perfumeworld.net lists Fresh Mukki as an Aldehydic Floral.

Basenotes lists the following notes:
Fresh Mukki (1996)
Top Notes: Gentle Peach, Honeydew, Cucumber
Middle Notes: Violet, Caramel, Linden Flower
Base Notes: Vanilla, Musk, Tuberose