Thursday, February 12, 2009

L'Occitane Almond Blossom Dew



L'Occitane Blossom Dew (Rosée de Fleurs) in Almond (Amande) is the almond scent I've been looking for. There are many almond blends out there but few I've found to smell of actual almond notes and not of cherry (although it's understandable since almond notes in perfume are related to cherry and heliotrope notes). From Luctor et Emergo People of the Labyrinths to Serge Lutens Rahät Loukoum, I've found so many of them to smell of cherry, a popular flavoring in the USA for everything from candies to cough medicine. Now, I don't mind a hint of cherry in a fragrance when it's done right: Cartier Délices comes to mind, and even though I eventually gave away my bottle of Chantal Thomass, I enjoyed the Marachino cherried sweet Floral Oriental while I had it. But what I really wanted was something close to the delectable marzipan of Mozartkugeln fame.

First, a little background: I discovered the Almond Milk Concentrate body cream first, and thought it was a wonderful scent, very much like another body lotion I stumbled upon during a tropical island vacation many years ago by ProTerra. I didn't realize until I smelled the L'Occitane Almond cream that the scent of this lotion I loved so much was that of almond. As perfume, almond could be described as a spicy yet sweet, heavyish (low-pitched), almost bubblegum-like scent. The spiciness could be compared to that of cinnamon in a way. What makes these body products I adore particularly un-cherrylike and more like true almond is that they steer clear of being too candied sweet, and veer towards the greener side of the olfactive spectrum, as well as the concentration of scent being relatively light. Also, I was surprised to like the L'Occitane cream so much because it also vaguely smelled of L'Occitane's honey scent which I found feral and couldn't tolerate. I perceive underlying honey in the Almond but I'm OK with it as it lends a subtle naughty dimension.

Then, this L'Occitane Almond Blossom Dew came into my life, and I'm absolutely in love with it. The Blossom Dew is a milky-colored but thin, watery gel, light in both scent and texture, meant to be sprayed liberally and massaged into skin to make it feel smooth. The fragrance is almost identical to that of the Milk Concentrate, a sweet (but not hypersweet) almond with very subtle floral and wood notes. They smell the same except the Blossom Dew is sweeter and denser to me with richer middle notes. It reminds of other perfumes I've smelled before - maybe Cacharel Gloria or Guerlain My Insolence: sweet, powdery rich Floral Oriental almond cakes with fruits and flowers in the mix. Actually, there seem to be some fruits and flowers in the Almond Blossom Dew, but not as upfront; it stays true to the almond, only made more scrumptious and marzipan-like with a delicious woody-vanilla base of an almost flour-y and tactile density made sheer and wearable.

I never knew spicy could be so soft and inviting, with a heart that sings a nostalgic orange blossom springtime Lieder, reverberating quietly creating a well-tempered sillage, an indolent and luxurious tone in the Oriental-Gourmand alto pitch range.

Here's what it says on the box: "Over a top note of blossom buds, the fresh almond heart joins the elegance of a woody, vanilla dry down." It's gorgeous and unfortunately discontinued and hard to find.