Thursday, February 12, 2009

MDCI Péché Cardinal

Parfums MDCI Péché Cardinal (Cardinal Sin) is the newest MDCI offering by one of my favorite perfumers, Patricia de Nicolaï. The notes listed on Lucky Scent's website are: Davana, peach, coconut, blackcurrant, tuberose, prune, lily, cedar, sandalwood, musc. I've read glowing reviews of this new fragrance by bloggers and reviewers of note, so I greeted my sample package today with great anticipation. Well, I love it - I think it's gorgeous, every bit the bombshell that Robert Piguet Fracas and Bond No.9 Saks Fifth Avenue for Her are. In fact, Péché Cardinal smells a lot like these two (especially Saks For Her with that touch of coconut), only with a good deal of juicy fruit. I smell lots of fresh peach oil in it, very similar to the type I use in my own Sali Oguri Pink Manhattan Purrfume, except I use less fruit and more vanilla in my blend. I smell lots more gardenia-tuberose-jasmine in Péché Cardinal than I do in my perfume, and of course Pink Manhattan is just slightly more gourmand than floral. If you want less intense floral and more mild milk notes, and want less fruit but like the peach note in Péché Cardinal, please try my Pink Manhattan, available from my website at www.salioguri.com

Now, back to Péché Cardinal: I'd read somewhere this is a fruity leather blend but I get even less leather in it than I do from Guerlain Cuir Beluga. In a nutshell, it smells like a peachy version of Saks For Her, or, if you're at all familiar with Japanese candies, Peche Cardinal smells almost exactly like Hana no Kuchizuke (花のくちづけ = mouth kiss of the flowers), a delicious peach hard candy in the shape of a chrysanthemum (one flavor description I found on a Japanese website reads: "sweet, tart and mild, a milky peach, as luscious as a kiss (on the lips)"). They come wrapped in different color wrappers with flowery prose on each one. I grew up eating these, and so Peche Cardinal is super-nostalgic for me! However, Peche Cardinal gets more intense with wear as deeper fruit notes emerge. Alongside peach, I also smell other juicy fruits, most notably plum, almost comparable to the plummy, simultaneously juicy and creamy fruitiness of Liaisons Dangereuses (Dangerous Liaisons) By Kilian. This sexy, sassy, fabulously hip new addition to the very niche MDCI line is sure to gain in fans for the fragrance alone, with or without the fancy lady bust bottle.

(Image: Luckyscent.com)