Sunday, March 01, 2009

March 2009 Top Favorites


(Image: Svetlana Berisova, prima ballerina for the Royal Ballet of England) I feel as though I'm walking on a tightrope between my current loves at polar opposite ends of the olfactory spectrum. I want deep and warm and/ or spicy, mysterious scents on one hand, and on the other, soft, light, clear and straightforward, optimistic scents. I'm probably false-dichotomizing my own taste preferences, but duality is fun. Winter hasn't left New York City yet, but we're experiencing warmer temps, in the 50s on some days, bringing us closer towards spring. Soon enough, I'll be pulling out my trench coat to wear with these boots again. While the world around me turns up the colors of the season, I'm still rocking in black and white...and occasionally, the palest, girliest ballet pink I'll never apologize for loving. Here's my current list of favorite fragrances for the first of March, 2009:

1. Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
2. Sali Oguri Persephone New York
3. Sali Oguri Pink Manhattan Purrfume
4. Benefit Maybe Baby
5. L'Occitane Almond Blossom Dew
6. Naomi Campbell
7. Yardley English Lavender
8. Floris Malmaison
9. Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle Iris Poudre
10. Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle Une Fleur de Cassie

I may revisit Guerlain L'Heure Bleue, Guerlain Metallica, Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque and L'Artisan Parfumeur La Chasse aux Papillons, although I haven't been in the mood for flowery florals, citrus florals, violets or tobacco-leather in general. Chypre, nouveau or classic, is off my radar.

The most popular perfume search on Pink Manhattan last month was Issey Miyake L'eau d'Issey Une Goutte de Nuage (A Drop of Cloud). It has dominated the stats since I posted my review on February 10, 2009.

(Image: Carrier Belleuse Pierre Ballerina With A Black Cat)