Tuesday, March 24, 2009

INTJ Female - the Final Frontier (for Now)


(Image: www.all-creatures.org)

Yet another UPDATE: INTJ Female - Final Final Frontier Part 3A posted on Tuesday, April 21, 2009

UPDATE: INFJ Female - The Final Frontier Pt. 2 posted on Friday, April 10, 2009

(Update - a must read! Clarification of the 8 Jungian Functions and why INTJ = Ti and INFJ = Fi posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009)


----------------


So, my MBTI angel changed his mind after I sent him my cognitive function test results and told me I'm INTJ after all. Funny - I was just getting used to the idea of being INFJ. I don't mind being ambiguous if I can just go on being both INTJ and INFJ without people wanting to put me neatly into a box. Then again, maybe not. My own need for closure kicks in. God knows we can't fit real people into stereotypes of any kind because we're much more complex than any test allows us to be, yet I needed to know where I could belong if I had to. Now that I know I'm an INTJ, here's what you need to know about INTJs. INTJs are sensitive, emotional, romantic types who don't like to advertise this fact, and in fact would (or I should say "might" and not speak for all others) put up any wall so you don't see us for the sensitive beings we are. Like many of my friends, both online and off, who are INTJ lawyers, medical practitioners, animal rights activists and romance novelists, I live for love and genuinely care about the world, but I also happen to be shy about showing this true nature. I also have an excellent sense of logic, to the point where it is a need of mine to fulfill it. I also have Introverted Intuition (which my angel friend calls the "Jedi" in us) to guide me, whether I'm accessing my Introverted Feeling and Extroverted Sensing, or my tertiary functions. They all fuse together as one brain and make me the unique individual I am. But tonight, as my test result showed me to have strong Extraverted Thinking (Te) along with Introverted Feeling (Fi), it seems clear I'm an INTJ, not INFJ as the official MBTI Instrument test I took at the Myers Briggs Foundation had indicated. I should have known based on my own song lyrics who I am at the core:

From "All Dressed Up with No Place to Go":

Dressed up and came here just to get my heart broken
I didn't know you were already spoken for
So no one needs to know
That here I am, all dressed up with no place to go.


See? I keep much of my true feelings to myself and often suffer from it. I'm also a romantic at heart which would explain my Enneagram Type 4 reading. To confirm the accuracies of both MBTI and Enneagram types, Type 4 indicates strong introverted intuition with introverted feeling. I don't know if I have one wing or two, but from what I've researched, it seems both 3 and 5 wings would indicate leanings toward ENTJ or INTJ anyway.

Now, it all makes sense. I've also gone back and taken my MBTI test over and chosen my type, INTJ, over the reported type. I felt it was an imperfect test, since it's unfair to dichotomize compassion and logic in all instances. Life should not be lived based on generalizations of how we'd react in any given situation. On a related note, take for instance the question asking to choose between justice and mercy. The question doesn't take into consideration that sometimes, justice itself calls for mercy. I see complexities and gray areas, all things in context. I want most of all to be a person full of compassion but I know sometimes, I'm blinded by my own logic, my stumbling block. Sometimes, my logic can help me find something close to universal truth, too, but the loss I feel when I step on others' feelings isn't always worth having it. I am an INTJ.

From www.myersbriggs.org:

Your INTJ Type Description

INTJs have original minds and great drive for implementing their ideas and achieving their goals. They have long-range vision and quickly find meaningful patterns in external events. They are independent, skeptical, and critical and have high standards of competence and performance for themselves and others.

They value health, home, family, and achievement.

INTJs represent approximately 2% of the U.S. population.

Characteristics of INTJs

INTJs have a clear vision of future possibilities.
Their faith in their inner vision can move mountains. Problems only stimulate them—the impossible takes a little longer, but not much.
They quickly see patterns in external events and develop long-range plans.
INTJs are relentless innovators.
They make their decisions based on logic and analysis.

INTJs with others

INTJs often present a calm, decisive, and assured face to others.
They may find it difficult to engage in social conversation, preferring to talk about abstract ideas.
Others may find them hard to get to know or even aloof.
INTJs tend to respect only people who meet their high standards of competence.
Because they have high standards and because they are so good at analysis, they may appear critical of others.
They value others who think and act as independently as they do.

INTJs at work

The boldness of INTJs’ Intuition preference may be of immense value in many fields.
They are excellent long-range planners and often rise to positions of leadership in groups or organizations.
They want to see their inspirations worked out in practice, applied, and accepted by the rest of the world.
INTJs drive others almost as hard as they drive themselves.
When necessary, they can focus on the details of a project in order to realize their vision.
They will take charge, organize a job, and carry it through.
INTJs often value and use confidently their intuitive insights in fields such as science, engineering, invention, politics, and philosophy.
They are less satisfied in any job that limits or restricts their vision and innovation.

Potential blind spots for INTJs

If INTJs have not developed their Intuition, they may not take in enough information or may take in only information that fits their inner vision and make poor decisions as a result.
Also, they may concentrate so hard on their goal that they fail to look for other information that might conflict with the goal.
If they have not developed their Thinking preference, INTJs may not have reliable ways of translating their valuable insights into real-world applications.
Also, if their Thinking preference is undeveloped, they will be unable to criticize their inner vision and may not listen to the opinions of others. They will therefore be unable to shape their inspirations into effective action.
Appreciating others may be hard for INTJs, and they may ignore other people's values and feelings.

Related link: INTP - August 11, 2010 Pink Manhattan