Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Revlon Jontue

Please visit my article @ The Examiner where New York's Great Recession project continues: NY Fragrance Examiner: Drugstore Beauties: Revlon Jontue - femininity, dreams and surrender to fantasy

Revlon Jontue (1975) was a drugstore perfume I'd always wished I could wear. I loved the romantic, voluptuous floralcy of it, but on me, it never smelled too nice. So, I wore Charlie (1973) instead, a drier, woodier and greener type of Floral scent marketed to career women of the '70s who dared to wear pants (shock!!). Jontue was obviously marketed to appeal to the most romantic girly girl women in many of us, whether or not we publicly display this side of us in everyday life. Like many girls, I was a pink addict when I was growing up, until I turned into an angsty teenager, and then all the delicate pale pink was replaced by my love of black. Today, I'd say I've achieved a good integration of the two sides of me. Still, I know I'll forever be attracted to the soft and dreamy, stereotypical representation of femininity in our culture as epitomized by Revlon Jontue. Even if I know the concept of femininty is subjective, I'm drawn to it like I'm searching for a part of myself I wish I could recover once again. Ah - maybe what I search for is that thing called innocence. Jontue is, above all, a perfume that semiotocally bound femininity with innocence forever in our minds with the dreamy, soft focus imagery of submission and surrender to fantasy.

Jontue is described as "a tender bouquet of white flowers" on Revlon's site (www.revlon.com). White florals such as gardenia, jasmine, orange blossom and tuberose are among my favorite notes in perfumery. One would imagine such a composition would be perfect as a wedding perfume. Indeed, Jontue is a low end version of the white floral (Floral family bordering on or within the Green family) perfumes that have consistently sold very well in this country such as Estée Lauder Beautiful (1985) and Perry Ellis for Women (1985). If you're familiar with the ad campaign for Beautiful, you know they've capitalized on the wedding theme. Notice, too, that the same message in ethereal pale tones has been captured in the imagery for Jontue: white horses, billowy summer dresses and nature. As soft as its imagery, this is a sharp yet gentle fragrance, not rich and powdery, it has a crispness that I enjoy. This is a perfume made for a madonna, a loving person with tenderness to give.

Here are the notes according to Revlon.com:
Top Notes: Bergamot, Chamomile, Cypress, Rose, Gardenia
Mid Notes: Sage, Tuberose, Mimosa, Geranium, Ylang
Dry Down: Benzoin, Musk, Oakmoss, Vetiver, Patchouly