Monday, May 11, 2009

Givenchy Very Irrésistible





Visit The Examiner to read today's featured review: NY Fragrance Examiner: Givenchy Very Irresistible - Roses that Rock


The month of May was made for this fresh, romantic, all-out pretty scent, Givenchy Very Irrésistible (2003). I once recall passing it by when I realized patchouli was the principal base note, a note I often find overwhelmingly heavy, but I needn't have worried; this is a beautiful, light-hearted and well-composed rose-patchouli blend with emphasis on clear but robust florals and a hint of sweet anise. As Liv Tyler is seen in the ad wearing a Western hat, the rose, the central motif of Very Irrésistible, is conversely indicative of the Spanish influence on the Western parts of the United States, in sync with the passionate symbolism of the rose in French and other Latin cultures worldwide. A rose is still a rose, and it reminds me of how the songwriting capital of America is Nashville, Tennessee, home of Country music and the heartland where many songs in all genres must pass through first to get across the nation's airwaves. The rose is the heartland of perfumery, and a good rose perfume must strike an emotional chord within us. This youthful bouquet is classified in the Spicy Floral family but it also crosses over to the Floral Oriental realm with sensual woody-vanillic tones. The dry down is quite heady and floral with a brightly blooming rose-white floral (peony) heart. I LOVE this fragrance and I'm wearing it everywhere these days.


Givenchy Very Irrésistible Sensual is the eau de parfum (EDP) version, which is the same scent but a slightly stronger, more bottom-heavy composition. I notice more patchouli in it, but again, it doesn't overwhelm me. The lighter hot pink bottle is the original eau de toilette (EDT) while the darker, more purple version is the eau de parfum. Another version called Very Irresistible Sensual Velvet is still available at select online stores; this is a limited edition EDP with a purple rose accessory that comes wrapped around the bottle (shown above). It's a gorgeous presentation but I have yet to see it in person. Scentwise, I love this version, too - I don't know which I prefer and would rather not have to choose.