Saturday, June 20, 2009

INXJ: More musings regarding the INFJ / INTJ cusp type




I've been thinking maybe the MBTI instrument provider was wrong about my being an INTJ. Of course, I have only myself to blame since it was up to me to help her help me assess myself, but really, who can assess brain function based on a one hour conversation which never really left on a decisive note? I'm taking a break from the INTJ board where people are bashing hippies and gays like it doesn't have any impact on people. I don't get people of any type who think it's perfectly reasonable to use typing as excuses for stereotyping and disrespectful comments. I've joined a brand new INFJ group on Facebook to hopefully continue talking with the INFJs (remember I was banned from the other group for sharing my INTJness...I don't blame the admin now - LOL!), so we'll see how that goes. I want to see where I'm more comfortable over the long haul - with the Te or the Fe thinkers, although we're all Ni dominant. But I still believe the system should accomodate INXJ the way the four temperaments were expanded to five. It can be done - furthermore, it ought to be done. Would anyone like to start an INXJ board, or will I eventually have to take the lead on that myself?

This is the point where I'm stuck in-between:

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keirsey_Temperament_Sorter

"The second ring: cooperative versus pragmatic (utilitarian)
Keirsey uses the words cooperative and pragmatic when comparing the differing temperaments. People who are cooperative pay more attention to other people's opinions and are more concerned with doing the right thing. People who are pragmatic (utilitarian) pay more attention to their own thoughts or feelings and are more concerned with doing what works. There is no comparable idea of Myers or Jung that corresponds to this dichotomy, so this is a significant difference between Keirsey's work and that of Myers and Jung. (I put that part in bold because I didn't know till now that these systems are incomparable! Does that mean I could be INTJ in one and INFJ in another, or that they arrive at the same conclusions using different approaches?)

"This ring, in combination with the inner ring, determines a person's temperament. The pragmatic temperaments are Rationals (pragmatic and abstract) and Artisans (pragmatic and concrete). The cooperative temperaments are Idealists (cooperative and abstract), and Guardians (cooperative and concrete). Neither Myers nor Jung included the concept of temperament in their work."

It's going to take me awhile to understand the difference between the Keirsey and Myers-Briggs / Jung systems. The above dichotomy sounds so much like the T / F dichotomy of the MBTI to me. Any help in understanding the differences would be appreciated - please feel free to comment.

So, speaking of temperaments, am I more ethical or logical? Choleric or phlegmatic? Inspired nymphs or curious sylphs? Doctrinaire or skeptical? Oversensitive or insensitive? Is it recognition I want or power?

(Edited to add) I retested myself on one of the Facebook apps today and I'm still INTJ according to that one. :-/

(Edited) I took a Temperament Test at this link and came up an Idealist (melancholic), which would make me an INFJ. :-O

My search for the truth continues.

Related links: INTP - August 11, 2010 Pink Manhattan

INFJ and the ISTJ Shadow - 8/14/10 Pink Manhattan