Monday, June 01, 2009

June 2009 Top 10



Please visit my article at The Examiner: Choosing a Fragrance Wardrobe - June '09 Top 10 List

One of the key factors to becoming a perfumista is developing a fragrance wardrobe. Now, I know that concept is the antithesis of being the signature perfume wearer or signature scentist as I like to call it, but if you consider each fragrance as a piece of clothing, you know you can't dress for every TPO (time, place, occasion) no matter how versatile an article of clothing may be. For starters, one can get away with having two fragrances - one for day and one for night, or one for Spring/Summer and another for Fall/Winter. Usually, one would pick a lighter scent for day / warm season and a heavier one for night / cooler months. How you ultimately design your own wardrobe is up to you and your particular needs and desires.

So, I know I recently reported that I now have a signature scent, but surely you didn't expect me to be a purist about it. I am wearing Givenchy Very Irrésistible as my number one go-to fragrance, and I wear it just about every day. But I have also fallen recently for Tom Ford Private Blend Tobacco Vanille, and even though I don't own a bottle and might live off of decants till the Fall or the holidays, I plan to add it to my beloved collection this year. I choose Tobacco Vanille when I feel I could be more daring with my scent choice, and also when I just can't resist it. What can I say? I am, above all, a mood scentist more than a signature scentist. I'll even admit I wore vintage Réplique the other night and enjoyed it. Perfume is fun, not rules and regulations. Right now, I'm getting a surprisingly heady lily or hyacinth note in Tobacco Vanille, an unlisted note which reminds me of the hyacinth I used in my own perfume called Persephone New York. Maybe that's why I love it so much. As for Very Irrésistible, I'm delighted to be in a rose phase, for there's nothing so fitting for Spring than a bouquet of fresh roses with peonies bursting with energy and optimism. Picking for myself the sexiest perfume I can think of each day is how I always get my mojo back.

Here are my choices for the beginning of June '09 (and I've included some I have on standby). What does this wardrobe say? Let's see...La Chasse aux Papillons + Tobacco Vanille + Rock Princess = Oyaji gal (or oyajigyaru)?

1. Givenchy Very Irrésistible
2. Givenchy Very Irrésistible Sensual
3. Tom Ford Private Blend Tobacco Vanille
4. Jil Sander No.4
5. Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb
6. L'Instant de Guerlain
7. L'Artisan Parfumeur La Chasse aux Papillons
8. Vera Wang Rock Princess
9. Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
10. Jil Sander Style

~*~*~Speaking of June, congratulations to all of you who are graduating this month!!~*~*~