Thursday, June 11, 2009

Laurence Dumont Les Senteurs Gourmandes Tendre Madeleine


Today's featured review at The Examiner: New Launch: Laurence Dumont Les Senteurs Gourmandes Tendre Madeleine

Have you ever gone to Starbucks and tasted their Madeleine Petite French Cakes? Do you just LOVE them as I do? Actually, these buttery, fluffy, spongy Madeleine petite cakes have been around since the 19th century. The recipe is fairly simple (as I've seen online, as I don't really bake myself): flour, eggs, butter, sugar and vanilla, custardy and comparable to the pound cake or a Beard Papa cream puff in taste but with a pronounced lemon note (but subtle enough not to be lemon cake). An entry on Wikipedia reads: "The madeleine or petite madeleine is a traditional small cake from Commercy, a commune of the Meuse département in northeastern France". I shall never learn to bake these because I would do nothing but bake them and eat them for all eternity. But this entry is not about food but a stunning new scent discovery, one I would even forgo the madeleine cakes for, if I could smell like this all day. This isn't Starbucks but haute pâtisserie.

Laurence Dumont has just launched all new fragrances as part of their Les Senteurs Gourmandes line, and one of them, called Tendre Madeleine, is based on the delectable cake. I had the rare opportunity to sample it through a friend who has access to this line, and it's gorgeous: so much more than just a simple gourmand, it has a seductive, animalic, musky dry down similar to that of L by Lolita Lempicka and Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur. It's a well-composed fragrance I would call a perfume in the real sense of the word, and it has quickly become a favorite of mine. Tendre Madeleine is an eau de parfum, and the notes are: bergamot, canelle, almond, white musk and precious woods. I believe I smell labdanum in this mysterious base, as it also reminds me of Le Labo Labdanum (formerly Ciste 18). I wouldn't be shocked if there's some castoreum or civet in here as well; this is one exciting offering by the company that once captured my heart with Tarte aux Myrtilles (although that was a much simpler scent creation, it was delectable no less). Summer is coming - celebrate the sweet life!

Currently, the launch news is up on the Laurence Dumont website but the fragrance won't be available until this summer (I see a pre-order in my plans). The other new fragrances are tempting as well: Vanille Frangipanier sounds like it could be the answer to my prayer for Comptoir Sud Pacifique to bring back their discontinued Vanille Frangipanier, a divine tropical floral vanilla with caramel toffee richness. Check out the site for more inviting options such as Vanille Violette, Vanille Chocolat and Figue Sauvage.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Related article: If you're looking for a natural fragrance similar in style to Tendre Madeleine, check out Amande de Ble by Acorelle, the certified organic fragrance line by Laurence Dumont.