Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Ugly Side of the Fragrance Industry


There are a lot of things I haven't talked about because, as Octavian Coifan of 1000 fragrances has said, he doesn't think he has paranoia yet, and still, it's clear the fragrance industry is tuning into the blogosphere for inspirations, and will often steal ideas from creative minds on the web. I remember when a friend of mine told me her idea for a perfume name was blatantly stolen from one of her posts on a popular makeup forum (I remember her post, too, and the comments that followed saying her idea was cool). I, personally, thought it odd that right after I sent an industry "friend" a sample of my Persephone perfume in its early stage (before I launched it), a slew of perfumes with similar composition launched all at once (the blackberry-chocolate-woody-amber arrangement). I have wept inside at the backstabbing practices of people in the industry who are like wolves in sheep's clothing and vowed never to disclose my true creative thoughts until I actually launch something. It's a shame to read about other indie perfumers having their ideas taken by companies with more capital and muscle to spare. Likewise, I feel sad that we live in a time when bloggers are being harassed by those companies with power lawyers who are no doubt going after the little people to buy themselves their $500 power lunch.

In truth, I've witnessed a whole lot more backstabbing in the perfume industry than I'd ever experienced in the music biz, or even the TV biz after 10 seasons of being on air. That's not to say I don't have stories in those fields, too. When the shit stinks, it reeks.