Monday, June 15, 2009

Yves Saint-Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme


The Men's Rive Gauche sample vial I have before me came in a handsome black and silver sleeve (card) which says on the back that it contains oakmoss extract. However, it doesn't smell like the women's, and neither is it what I'd call traditionally mossy, but instead, it smells like a delicious juxtaposition of cool and spicy hot, a refined powdery-leathery-ambery woods...in other words, it smells like one of my favorite niche fragrances, Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque! Since Fumerie Turque is exclusive to Paris and can't be gotten here, I think Rive Gauche pour Homme is a wonderful stand-in. They're not identical-smelling (Fumerie Turque is sweeter (Oriental-Leather); Rive Gauche is dry, woodsier and much greener (Green Aromatic-Fougere)) but the initial effect is pretty much on the money...

Please visit the Examiner for today's featured review: Featured Review: Yves Saint-Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme