Thursday, October 08, 2009

L'Eau par Kenzo Eau Indigo

Please follow the link to my latest review at The Examiner: Featured Review: Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo Eau Indigo (2009)

Kenzo fragrances are generally well-respected within the perfume circles, revered as a mainstream line with niche aesthetics. On my latest Sephora run, I fell in love with one of their newest offerings, a Spring 2009 launch and flanker scent called Kenzo L'Eau par Kenzo Eau Indigo. I couldn't remember the name of it, so I had to use a search engine to come across it again; this is the unfortunate thing about flanker names - had it been simply called Kenzo Indigo, I think I would've remembered it better. Anyway, this is nothing at all like the original L'Eau par Kenzo, which was a very light Marine Floral, as light, transparent and aqueous cool as Cool Water or Roxy. L'Eau par Kenzo Eau Indigo smells more suited for evening or cold weather wear, perfect right now as it's gotten pretty cool here in New York City.

L'Eau par Kenzo Eau Indigo features a decadent and sunny orange blossom and Sambac jasmine heart, on a thick ambergris-tonka-musk base. Because it's a very marshmallow sweet, low-pitched, densely powdery scent, I could see it's not for everyone, possibly being cloying for people who tend to get nauseated by very rich, sweet, heavy blends (and it's very musky, the kind of scent that lingers). As for me, this is a bit sweeter than I usually like my sweet fumes - if it had more woody notes, it could give Pink Sugar a run for its money. Oh, but this is no ordinary musk; it excites me and comforts me at the same time, and I've gotta get a bottle of it soon. If I'm to compare, it reminds me of a niche fragrance by Etat Libre d'Orange called Divin'enfant, a hypersweet ambrette musk and orange blossom blend. It also reminds me of Tanya Sarne Ghost, so if you appreciate base-heavy, sensual blends, this might be right up your alley.

Sugary yet dark, with a soft and pillowy texture, this is my kind of comfort scent. Maybe I could call it a comfort scent with a kick, or a hauntingly mysterious one. I really wish it had been launched as a new fragrance and not a flanker, because aside from the unmemorable name, the sporty bottle doesn't do anything for me, either. A perfume this wonderful deserves an exciting bottle of its own, but we buy for the juice inside, not the bottle, right? Kenzo has a winner here in my opinion, but please go sniff and decide for yourself; the love of perfume, like food, is completely dependent on individual taste, and it can't be predicted by reading opinions and notes alone. There's one more thing I'd like to add, that Sephora lists it under Floral, but to my nose, this is certainly a Floral Oriental. It's too bad they don't have such a category in their Fragrance Finder.