Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Fragrance of the Moment



I love being a serial scent monogamist, and Guerlain Idylle is my current ideal significant other. It's simultaneously soft and classy. Previously, I had compared it to another modern Chypre called Narciso Rodriguez for Her (which was my signature for awhile), and while I think they're similar, I can now smell the orange blossom heart of Narciso Rodriguez for Her, and the rose heart of Idylle. I still stand by my initial comparison of Idylle to the poached pear roundness of Annick Goutal Petite Chérie. I can still see that Idylle is in the same modern Chypre family as Lanvin Rumeur and Grès Cabaret, but they seem more aggressively leathery, traditionally Chypre, more like Agent Provocateur than the Fruity Floral dewy innocence of Idylle. But don't let my impressions make you think I'm being snarky and critical for the sake of being that way; when I'm in love with a perfume, there simply is none other that satisfies. In any case, I can now say I'm officially a Chypre lover. Where true love comes from, you just never know.


I like this image, too - conceptually, it reminds me of my gilded Persephone perfume ad - the watercolor sage background, as well as the concept of the tear drop bottle with movement all around, like stormy weather. Maybe that's part of the reason why I can identify with it.