Friday, October 15, 2010

Fragrance of the Moment



I haven't seen this limited edition presentation before, and I'm usually not one to go for the flowery, frilly things, but this is awfully pretty. Actually, the floral design isn't really over-the-top, but subtle and demure, the tiny blackberries and purple flowers as dainty as forget-me-nots, delicate embellishments upon elegant serpentine curves in a bluish purple hue. As for the scent, I am a huge fan of the eau de parfum version of this scent, L'Artisan Parfumeur Mûre et Musc Extrême (2003), but the original L'Artisan Mûre et Musc (1978), an eau de toilette, isn't all that different, just ever so slightly more herbaceous (high-pitched and cool, almost minty) and citric to my nose, and with a less concentrated, woodsy base. The overall scents are remarkably similar: clean, semi-sweet fruity musks. My regular readers know I have an aversion to most musks, particularly if they're detergentesque and strong, but this is a musk I can easily wear, one that seems very light for an animal-inspired, Oriental musk fragrance. It's a wonderful shared fragrance between men and women, and a unique alternative to the traditional citric eau de cologne, with notes of basil, lemon, mandarin orange, blackberry, red berries, musk and oakmoss. It is still musk, so a little goes a long way and will linger for quite some time.

There is another, even lighter Cologne version of the same scent, but I haven't tried it yet. Mûre et Musc Cologne (2003) features additional top notes of grapefruit and bergamot, plus jasmine is listed in the heart notes.

The strongest version of this fragrance is L’Extrait de Parfum Mûre et Musc (2008). I haven't tried this version, either, but I hope to one day. The glamorous extrait (pure parfum) comes in a cylindrical (actually heptagonal but slender and tall) gold-capped bottle which comes nestled in a box featuring the limited edition floral design in gold against black.

Mûre et Musc was also available in a special Holiday 2005 limited edition signed Pierre Dinand bottle in the shape of a blackberry fruit.