Friday, October 08, 2010

Gigliola Cinquetti - Where Have All the Flowers Gone?



Uploaded by swing52a on You Tube
Gigliola Cinquetti

A senza rete accompagnata alla chitarra da Mario Ganci in Where Have All The Flowers Gone (P.Seeger) e L'acquabelle

"Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" is a famous folk song my parents of the Silent Generation hipped me to, and it's probably one of the most internationally known war protest songs ever written. According to Wikipedia, "the first three verses were written by Pete Seeger in 1955, (...) and additional verses were added by Joe Hickerson in May 1960. (...) These lines were taken from the traditional Ukrainian folk song "Tovchu, tovchu mak", referenced in the Mikhail Sholokhov novel And Quiet Flows the Don (1934), which Seeger had read "at least a year or two before".[3]

It was recorded by many singers such as Harry Belafonte, Dolly Parton and Olivia Newton-John. Jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery recorded an instrumental version in his trademark style on the 1968 LP Road Song. The versions I was first familiarized with were by Joan Baez and Peter, Paul and Mary.

This is the first time I'm hearing Italian singer-songwriter Gigliola Cinquetti sing it, and I think it's a lovely rendition.

I'm dedicating this post to my parents who grew up in Nagoya at the time of the war, to honor them because if they taught me one important principle, it is that war is a crime of all humanity.

Listen to Peter, Paul and Mary's live version here.