Friday, November 26, 2010

Fragrance of the Moment


L'impératrice Eugénie à la Marie-Antoinette, 1854, Franz Xaver Winterhalter, Wikimedia Commons


"It's too heavy", a sales guy at a downtown (not Creed) boutique had said, when I asked about this perfume, but when he continued on to say it had been sold out at the shop due to its popularity in the neighborhood, my curiosity was ever more piqued. Years later, this warm and musky, luxurious woody-ambery (vanillic) jasmine-rose blend is among my favorite Creed fragrances, and perfumes of all time. Creed Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie is not a delicate scent at all, being rather pungently smoky, sweet, rich and heavy as they say; it smells as old-fashioned as a perfume commissioned by the Empress Eugenie in 1870 (relaunched in 1989) could smell. Yet, I find such comfort in this scent, and wish to replace my now-dwindling 2.5 oz. bottle. Jasmine is more apparent in the early stage of its development on skin; as it dries down, the most noticeable note is sandalwood. The rich sandalwood note is beautifully married to vanilla, its true soul mate, and reminds me of a temple with burning incense, or a fireplace, deep earthy brown and autumnal hues all aglow.

Although it is classified as either a Floral Oriental or Floral Woody, I would recommend it to lovers of Aldehydic Florals (since I tend to love those, and also love this). It has been compared to Chanel Bois des Iles, but to me, the Creed creation is sweeter, more floral, languid and sumptuous in effect, while the Chanel has a sharper wood note in its smokiness (similar to Cuir de Russie which is also similar to No.5).