Friday, December 10, 2010

Pantone 2011 Color of the Year



Image: Momotaro (peach boy) and Daruma, Naito Museum of Pharmaceutical Science and History www.eisai.co.jp/museum


Courageous. Confident. Vital. A brave new color, for a brave new world. See the color swatch here: Pantone 2011 Color of the Year - Pantone.com

I know many people have an aversion to the color pink for girls, which is understandable because of our Barbie culture, but if we're to combat gender codification in society, how about we also address gendered languages such as Latin languages which anthropomorphize objects, and even Japanese for that matter, a language which separates genders in hierarchical form? Would we be better off returning to a time (1940s) when the more "delicate" blue was the designated feminine color (and pink, a gentler shade of red, was for boys)? It's something to ponder as we ring in the new year. I sincerely hope this vibrant shade of pink will be incorporated into men's fashion more.

I happen to love the color pink, although I have my personal favorite hues, and tend to be picky about it. Come 2011, I may add a little more pink to my wardrobe which currently consists of black, white, brown and grey. I'm looking forward to a Pink Manhattan kind of year!

Related link:

Top 10 PANTONE Colors for women’s fashion chosen by New York designers for spring 2011


"The tones of gray, pale turquoise and pink will prevail."
- Christian Dior