Saturday, January 29, 2011

Fragrance of the Moment




As NYC got hit with 3 feet of snow, I began craving fresh fruity fragrances again, and came across this fantastic 2010 launch for Women. The word "sport" usually turns me off to trying a perfume, since many sport scents are loaded with calone, a synthetic water note, but I swooned for this from first sniff; although there is calone listed in the notes as sea salt (unless by sea salt they meant ambergris, or some new note or accord), it registers to me as Floral rather than Marine, or aqueous (Davidoff Cool Water is an example of an aqueous scent I like). My first impression of it was "sexy red fruit", but what I was smelling was more mandarin orange than papaya or mango. Nevertheless, the sweet, crisp freshness of Green (white floral) freesia and honeysuckle notes, with a splash of musky, transparent sea spray, gives this composition both body (full floral heart) and overall lift to the impression of red fruit. During the development stage, I detect a subtle yet mouthwateringly delicious coconut water accord - not Coppertone suntan oil, but jugo de coco - an accord that melds perfectly with a subtle and pleasant skin musk.

This one is for the happy and light Floral and Fruity Floral lovers. Its freshness reminds me of other favorites in the Fruity Floral genre: Creed Spring Flower, Le Cherche Midi 14, Salvatore Ferragamo Incanto Charms. Lovers of Donna Karan Be Delicious might find this scent attractive as well. At the dry down stage, it smells mostly like Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue, an accord I've smelled over and over in launches of recent past, but without the overload of white musk found in the trendsetter of the past decade, I find Burberry Sport exhilarating, interesting and wearable. I've followed almost all of the Burberry launches since Burberry Society (1991) and loved many of them, but I think this newbie is my favorite.

There is a tiny bit of spice in here, but nothing overwhelming; for those who would prefer a spicier, woodsier and more ambery blend, Burberry The Beat might fit the bill (both Burberry Sport and The Beat were composed by perfumers Olivier Polge and Béatrice Piquet).

Notes on Sephora:
Burberry Sport (2010 Floral)
Mandarin, Sea Salt, Vetiver, Freesia, Honeysuckle, Solar Sand Notes