Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Top 10 Fragrances in Time for Valentine's



Who, me, tradition? Not usually, but I still had to write the obligatory pre-Valentine's Day perfume post, because, as a perfumista, perfumes are more important to me than chocolate. I do love chocolate, don't get me wrong, but you might be surprised to know that as a gourmand fragrance lover, I can take or leave most sweets. Of course, if I were to be presented with the most exquisite French vanilla macaron with vanilla buttercream filling, or this outrageous pistachio lokum I've been hooked on ever since this new Turkish place opened up in Midtown, it would be a serious battle between two schools of hedonism. Where do flowers fit into the equation? Naturally, inside a beautiful bottle, preferably glass, of course.

My Top 10 Fragrance List usually looks like a harem of new-found love, but in truth, I've been fairly devoted to a handful of fragrances which I've been rotating through the seasons, with a couple of new discoveries joining the sacred circle. However, I'm really a monogamous perfumista at heart, sticking to one signature faithfully for an extended period of time. OK, so I'm a serial monogamist, who occasionally commits the sin of fragrance layering, an absolute taboo among the classically versed. Sometimes, I switch scents between day and night, but that's become a widely accepted practice, even among signature scentists, except for the most militant zealots among them.

These days, I have heart eyes ♥ ♥ for Burberry Sport, an unusually floral and unsporty, even rather dainty and pretty, fragrance centered around lively citrus and white florals on a musky, light cedar base. I wouldn't call it detergentesque, because I don't like scents like that, but it is clean. My guy prefers when I wear Jean Paul Gaultier Classique which turns him into a vampire of sorts, and I'll probably wear it on V-Day :-), but for now, it's light and carefree fare that seems to be my speed. I keep thinking of Burberry Sport as the new Clinique Happy (oh, how I loved Happy, my signature from more than 10 years ago!). Compositionally, I think they're actually kind of close, so, in a way, I've come full circle, back into the arms of a sunny, innocuous Floral. Maybe perfume is like love - safe is good.

Here's my February Top 10:

1. Burberry Sport
2. Burberry The Beat
3. Benefit So Hooked on Carmella
4. Creed Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie
5. Helmut Lang
6. Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
7. Jean Paul Gaultier Madame
8. Jean Paul Gaultier Classique
9. Caron Narcisse Noir
10. Floris Seringa


(Image: Burberry Sport for Women To Go, 1 oz Eau de Toilette Spray)