Friday, March 18, 2011

Winter 2011 Round-Up



Japanese Women and Girl In Western-style Clothes, Hats And Shoes by Toyohara Chikanobu (1838 – 1912, Japanese), image from I am a Child (children in art history)


After I flew to Kobe to sing at a benefit concert in the aftermath of the terrible 1995 Great Hanshin earthquake, I never imagined there would be such a tragedy of this magnitude devastating Japan again. The beautiful, economically developed city of Kobe was destroyed in mid-January; then, too, the suddenly displaced homeless were made to suffer in cold, difficult conditions on top of suffering so much personal loss.

Although I'm not much in the mood for wearing and sampling perfume this week with the sadness in Japan and everything that's going on, I wanted to fill you in on my scented life before tastes change again come spring. I'm not planning a hiatus but should I feel like going on one, I don't want to leave without making a final round-up Top 10 list for Winter 2011. Chances are, I'll be right here, just as I've been all along, posting glimpses into my psyche with each post, as irreverent and downright ridiculous as most of my postings are. Hopefully, my readers understand I'm here to have fun, to occasionally share news and info I find pertinent, and let you in on the trends that come my way in various forms. I'm grateful to my readers, my friends with common interests on the world wide web. Thank you for all you're doing to send prayers and support to those in need right now.

White florals, particularly tuberose, is making a big comeback with me, as seen through my current obsession with Bond No.9 Saks Fifth Avenue for Her. This is a creamy, delicious tuberose accompanied by jasmine and vanilla. Somewhere in the mix, I seem to smell a toffee or caramel note, which is just swell, never a let down with me. I love Werther's candies as much as I love those Japanese Flower's Kiss candies that taste like peaches and cream.

I'm so into tuberose, I have Kim Kardashian and Michael Kors Very Hollywood on my list of fragrances to sample. Did you chuckle? I hope so. When I do try them, and if I end up smitten again, I'll let you know.

Most of all, my past month or so can be summarized by my love for Cartier L'Heure Mystérieuse, which, if you're a regular reader of this blog, you already know I dream of calling a bottle of it my own someday. In the meantime, I hope someone (maybe you) will know the pleasure of giving Cartier L'Heure Mystérieuse (or perhaps one of the other Cartier Les Heures de Parfum fragrances) a loving and attentive home.

I had a brief encounter with By Kilian Liaisons Dangereuses, a juicy, saucy, potent plum fragrance. I've seen it classified as a Fruity Chypre, but all I get in the dry down is a creamy, almost buttery accord and White Musk; is this not a Fruity Floral? I get tons of compliments on it, and I do enjoy this plum combined with a full heart of rose, but plum and I are on an on-again, off-again status. I've never cared for plum wine, either. If I drink at all, ume crushed in hot water and shochu is more my speed. But hey, this is a great fruity scent by the Hennessy dude (I mean, heir), so check it out.

Gucci Guilty stole my heart. Fred is so wonderful for going to Sephora to ask for a sample for me. Sephora, we love you. This perfume is on my wish list, and I don't care that it smells kind of like Vera Wang Princess.

I can't forget to mention Xerjoff, in particular Bouquet Ideale and Verona, two fragrances from an exciting new fragrance house I'm sure I will revisit soon.


Top 10
1. Cartier L'Heure Mystérieuse
2. Bond No.9 Saks for Her
3. Gucci Guilty
4. By Kilian Liaisons Dangereuses
5. Xerjoff Bouquet Ideale
6. Creed Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie
7. Xerjoff Verona
8. Caron Narcisse Noir
9. Burberry Sport
10. Chanel Chance


Please visit Yoko Ono: Message to Japanese people affected by the Sendai Quake & Tsunami *UPDATED LINKS*, where Yoko Ono has complied a list of many helpful links relating to this catastrophe.