Monday, September 05, 2011

My End of Summer 2011 Top 10 Fragrances List



Worse than Oscar de la Renta Intrusion is the name of Elizabeth Arden's new perfume for Taylor Swift. I could never buy a Women's perfume with the word "struck" in it. What's next: Lovesick? This is not edgy. It's unwelcome subliminal misogyny!

Lady Gaga: I suppose her "blood and semen" perfume will smell salty, like salicylates (or Thierry Mugler Cologne). If it's all the same, why not call that note "seamen" for her Disney-weaned (or still weaning) fan base? Also, semen has been done by the company that made Secretions Magnifique, which I have not smelled and doubt I ever will. I won't judge you if you must.

Does every new perfume launch have to be attached to booze? I thought coconut water was a novel association.

On a positive note, there are some very special fragrances I've had the chance to smell recently, most notably the original Tiffany perfume (composed by the Chanel in-house perfumer), the new Oscar de la Renta, By Kilian Sweet Redemption and a very nice Guerlain Aqua Allegoria scent, Mandarine Basilic, which is a simple, wholesome gustative pleasure to wrap up the season in - and to newly welcome another.

The season's pièce de résistance for me is Givenchy Dahlia Noir (2011). I will review it in full very soon. Also in the works are reviews of more Cartier Les Heures de Parfum and the new Chloé flanker, which so far is my favorite among the new Chloé series.

Do check out Betsey Johnson Too Too come October if you want to smell the next coming of Gucci Guilty but with strawberry. I'd wear it with the red hot tartan sheath dress I saw in her boutique window the last time I walked by.

Top 10
1. Givenchy Dahlia Noir
2. Cartier L'Heure Mystérieuse
3. Robert Piguet Bandit
4. Rihanna Reb'l Fleur
5. biehl parfumkunstwerke PC02
6. Gucci Guilty
7. Givenchy Very Irresistible Intense
8. Betsey Johnson Too Too
9. Love's Baby Soft
10. Love, Chloe