Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Katy Perry Purr





Katy Perry Purr reminds me of this lady who once bought a sample of my Pink Manhattan PURRFUME (2005) and said it was perfect except it was too fruity and not floral enough for her. I feel about Katy Perry's purrfume just the inverse. I don't know why, but Katy Perry's perfume reminds me of nothing specific but everything generic at once. It's a relatively pleasant, rather inoffensive fragrance, but it seems to be something other than what I want in a scent: it's actually a Floral, but a semi-Oriental one, with a creamy, semi-sweet (vanillic) musky base, with fruits vaguely redolent of osmanthus. The implied apricot note is there but soapy, without adding enough apricotty goodness to call it that dreaded, much maligned olfactory family, the popular, energetic and sprightly Fruity Floral. It is crisp and fresh, but creamy enough that it seems more opaque than translucent; this type of milky-sweet texture is for me best not coupled with detergent notes, although I've been pushed to the limit in a good way with scents like Castelbajac and Le Feu d'Issey.

Bottom line, it reminds me of a sweeter, fruitier Cashmere Bouquet soap. It's not gourmand enough for me, not even as gourmand as Creed Spring Flower or Bond No.9 Saks Fifth Avenue for Her, so it's naturally going to gain fans among lovers of slightly subdued (for me) florientals a la Bond No.9 Chinatown and its mini-me which actually preceded it, Victoria's Secret Secret 33 - all nice scents, btw, even those that are discontinued and which might only pop up on eBay for the most vigilant of secondary market watchers.