Wednesday, November 09, 2011

My Fall 2011 Top 10 Challenge: Let the Perfume Duel Begin!



So, about that new Twilight perfume...yeah, I think I might have felt cautious about a spontaneous buy, because something about the scent description and the bottle presentation with the lilac feather reminded me of Gloria Vanderbilt...does anyone remember that? This is not some cheap shot deriding it for being a drugstore perfume. It was a good scent, but it simply wasn't my fave at the time, as I vaguely recall it smelling flowery but nondescript, soapy, powdery and "perfumey" as we say, although the swan theme was decidedly feminine, maybe to the point of being too girly for my personal taste, though that is hard to fathom with my love of most things pink. Perfume is like food: you're either going to like it or not, and anyone can like whatever they want. Your healthy eating choices reflect a dedication to invest in your life, but you're still not any loftier for liking peas. No one is pressuring you to adhere to state-approved taste, here! When it comes to fragrance, your taste is in no way a reflection of your character, personality, status or class, so feel free and have fun with it!


What else is huge perfume news? Madonna is launching a fragrance with Coty. I loved the comment I read somewhere, that the bottle looks like something that holds holy water. If anyone could verify it, that would be awesome. I have a Roman Catholic grandmother, but I don't remember that, the way I remember rosaries and those gold coin-shaped charms. You know, the Pope has a perfume at his Vatican website - why didn't he capitalize on the bottle when he trademarked his title? As for the scent, I imagine it'll be a new take on Versace Blonde, maybe borderline Anais Anais. My prayer is that it'll smell like Bond No.9 Saks Fifth Avenue for Her. I think it'll smell more like a humble celeb fragrance along the lines of Kim Kardashian. I dreamed Madonna, a perfumista whose holy name is invoked in the same breath as Catherine Deneuve and Donatella Versace, would collab with Aftelier because it was written in an influential magazine once how she loved Aftelier Pink Lotus.


I'll also share my mini-review of Balenciaga L'Essence: It's a copy of Prada Infusion d'Iris which you know, darling Pink Manhattanite, is a "sheer" (by which I mean linear and thick, though watery / transparent) and insipidly musky yet powerful-smelling copy of Solange Stoned. L'Essence (by Coty Prestige, I imagine) bears no resemblance to Balenciaga Paris, save for a very subtle violet-musk-tinged reference to Chanel Beige, and seems to share more attributes with the sweet, heavy though sheer and transparent-musky Donna Karan Pure. They smell like they signed up to take part in this bizarre on-going experiment, to turn musk into gauze, and woods into sopranos.


Finally, there's all this fuss over Chanel Jersey! Of course I'd love some, along with Givenchy Dahlia Noir and oh, gosh, this new love, Ormonde Jayne Orris Noir, but I haven't bought anything new this season except for a gorgeous and relatively affordable American perfume I just discovered (no, it's not a new release, and yes, I'll reveal it soon), a replenishment supply of Clinique Happy (it's rude to whisper; why not chortle out loud?) and a handful of samples, none of which have kept my interest. But in the era of austerity, not only am I planning for myself a strict no-buy period, the time has come to put all of my current favorite perfumes (the ones in my current rotation) through the ultimate test: if I had to choose just one in each category, what would I pick? The most contentious duels came down to these pairings:

Round 1: Vera Wang Princess vs. Gucci Guilty (Fruitchouli)

Round 2: Cartier La Treizieme Heure XIII vs. Cartier L'Heure Mysterieuse XII (Oriental)

Round 3: Clinique Happy vs. Creed Spring Flower (Fruity Floral)

Round 4. Jean Patou Joy vs. Bond No.9 Saks Fifth Avenue for Her (Floral)

Round 5: Givenchy Very Irresistible Intense vs. By Kilian Liaisons Dangereuses (Chypre)

Round 6: Chanel Jersey vs. Givenchy Dahlia Noir (Newbies)

Round 7: Heeley Iris de Nuit vs. Ormonde Jayne Orris Noir (Spicy Oriental Woody)

Round 8: Chanel No.19 vs Ralph Lauren Lauren (Vintage)

Round 9: Creed Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie vs. Caron Narcisse Noir (Floral Oriental)

Round 10: There is no tenth round because the mystery American perfume currently holds this most coveted spot under Favorite New Acquisition.

Winners and my Top 10 will be posted shortly!