Thursday, November 10, 2011

Vera Wang Princess



After all the times I put Vera Wang Princess on my Top 10 lists since its venerable launch in 2006, Vera Wang Princess deserves its own review! The thing is, it's one of those great-smelling perfumes I don't have much to say about, except it's pretty much the only fruitchouli I think I need. It's just modern (Gourmand) enough for me to enjoy, just sweet enough that it isn't overly sweet and cloying (although I have to be in the mood for Gourmand to wear it). It's basically a Floral perfume with some gourmand (pink icing or whatever) sugary elements and candyish fruity elements (like a light watermelon note, not so sour it's Jolly Rancher), with the all-important (to the industry, apparently, for the last 20 years) patchouli base being present but very subtle, almost overpowered completely by the yummy, dreamy vanilla base note which also helps camouflage the slightly musky but not at all animalic, in fact made dewy enough to seem vegetal, coconut oil-like note in Ralph Lauren Hot and Benefit Hooked on Carmella embedded somewhere in the seemingly innocuous blend.

As new fans discover Princess more and more for themselves, other fruitchouli staples such as Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb, Aquolina Pink Sugar and Thierry Mugler Angel, as well as newbie Cinderella perfumes like Taylor Swift's Wonderstruck (the review is coming - stay tuned) have a lot to live up to if they want to stay fresh-faced, too.

This perfume to me is like Clinique Happy - one I'll never want to be without. If you want more berries and patch, Vera Wang Rock Princess might be more your speed.


Drawing of Vera Wang Princess perfume
by DRAWCITY on Flickr