Saturday, December 17, 2011

Season's Greetings from Pink Manhattan - and Thanks



Doré's White Rose
Illustration to Dante's Divine Comedy,
Paradiso by Gustave Doré


Dear reader,

I hope you aren't upset with me because I haven't posted anything of relevance as of late (although it is debatable if I ever have); I'm going through some personal things - and you know what they say about God never giving us more than we can handle, but oy! - but I am taking a break from the New Years Eve gig this year, as I can hardly get through singing "Misty" with a straight face. Ha! OK, that's an exaggeration, and you don't need to worry about me because I happen to have a zest for life even when I choose to be isolated and quiet - but nonetheless, this will be the second time that I will miss a NYE gig since I started singing professionally at 16. It's weird to have veered so far away from my music life, and now, I feel my perfume writing is reaching a halt. Maybe it's a sign of good things to come, musically speaking.

This year has turned out to be a solemn year for the perfume community with the recent tragic loss of a talented indie perfumer named Mona di Orio. With all things considered, perhaps this is not the year for me to create a Year End Top 10 List, either. I will share that I bought a fragrance launched in 2011 for myself this month, but I also want to take this opportunity to take my friend Marian Bendeth of Sixth Scents' advice from many years ago, to keep my signature scent under my hat. And so I shall, with that coy, knowing wink sported by elegant ladies. Yes, I'm learning to celebrate my very own, personal cinq à sept. How refreshingly out of my element and oh-so-French it makes me feel, not to mention coming full circle since I started delving into the perfume world in 2001, just one month after 911, probably in search of emotional comfort, enjoyment and escape, all of which perfume has provided me for over a decade.

Thank you for giving me all of the experiences you invited me to take part in this year. I'd like to send special thanks to Leon of DC Bebop for creating a page and a banner just for me. To have that kind of support is precious. Thank you - you are so far above and beyond. I'm also grateful to have been able to share my innermost thoughts through my freelance writing projects, to go out on location for Basenotes, contribute to beautiful online perfume resources and have lots of good-spirited fun while it lasted.

Thank you for being a Pink Manhattan reader, and for your patronage over the years. Have a wonderful holiday season, and please keep me company on Twitter / Facebook from time to time. I love to hear from you. I'm continually amazed and inspired by the uniqueness and ingenuity I'm surrounded by. I'll continue blogging, even if it's just to post a link or a song, so please continue to stop by. And wherever you are, please know that you are a part of all of the blessings that make my life complete.

Let's face 2012 together.

Shalom / Salem / Peace

All my love,
Sali