Sunday, January 29, 2012

MBTI Compatibility: Pedagogue vs Contrast, Part 2




MBTI Compatibility: Pedagogue vs Contrast, Part 2

I believe I finally understand why the Pedagogue relationship dynamic, alongside the Contrast, is considered ideal, all theoretically speaking. Based on the Jungian cognitive function theory, the 3rd position in the order of preference (ex: INFJ = Ni Fe Ti Se, therefore Ti (introverted thinking)) is the position of desire. The Pedagogue's 3rd position is your 2nd position, the part you express to the outer world the most (ex: ENTP = Ne Ti Fe Si, therefore the INFJ's most visible mode of outer expression (2nd position), Fe (extraverted feeling), is the ENTP's desire (3rd), while the ENTP's own dominant outer expression is Ti in the 2nd position, which is the INFJ's desire). ENTP has a Rational temperament, which is quite different from the INFJ's Idealist temperament. Like the little dots in the yin and yang symbol, it has what the other desires, or, conversely, what it lacks within itself, the final "missing" (actually only hidden) piece of itself found in the other. Like I said, that's the theory.

In my life, I seem to generally get along with the Contrast type. The Contrast is like an inverted chord structure of my mind (the cognitive function order is Ne Fi Te Si, meaning every function is the point and counterpoint of the INFJ's Ni Fe Ti Se - another type of yin and yang. I wonder if one is more ideal than the other. I rather like my dealings with Rationals who seem to possess a genuine degree of warmth). The ENFP and INFJ can read each other intuitively and still be different enough to give each other new insight (and yes, the ENFPs in my life seem to have very different interests outside of sharing core values and creativity, for better or worse in the long run). I've been friends with ENFPs long enough to know that these verbally astute, quick and charismatic "life of the party" ENFPs are, like ENTPs, stimulating minds for INFJs. They are a lot like the ENFJ which I'll talk about next, in that they love to motivate people.




Funnily enough, the Pal (The INFJ's Pal is the ENFJ, the Teacher / Actor / Performer, the benevolent 'pedagogues' of humanity) is supposedly the type with the least natural conflict with the INFJ, yet this is usually not considered the ideal relationship type. I don't understand why; aren't you supposed to be soulmates with your best friend? I find them to be creative with an eye for design. I share a great deal with ENFJs, natural mentors to the INFJ, and they seem to always find me, even on the net! I love them (who doesn't?) and respect their high-minded PCness, and at times, I also find them to be the very enigmas they don't see themselves as being. Maybe we can become so close that we become blinded by the sanctimonious light that's sometimes mutually shed between these two types (Idealist temperament). Led by Extraverted Feeling but also blessed with strong Introverted Intuition, the ENFJ is a socially adept type; I wish I could read people, their individual feelings, and how they all relate to each other the way ENFJs do. They are masters of drama. This is why they can excel in leadership, management and sales.

Also, what about the Identity, a mirror INFJ? Is it possible that the more alike you are, the more accentuated the smallest differences seem to become over time? Like countries that are closest neighbors that argue about how to lay down chopsticks on a table? Is the Identity relationship the perfect union (maybe especially for a pair of narcissists) or a doomed tale of how familiarity breeds contempt (again, poor narcissists)? I only know one other INFJ and boy, are we protective types. I guess I sort of wish I knew more in real life, provided they are of the sane and emotionally developed ilk, but, as the urban legend goes, we're only abundantly seen mentally frolicking through the enchanted, at times convoluted though well-organized shrubbery of our online existence.