Thursday, July 05, 2012

Tom Ford Neroli Portofino



I can't rave about this scent enough; if you're a sweet citrus lover as I am, I hope you'll go test it. I ain't gonna lie, it smells a LOT like 4711, so if you've always been a fan of *the* classic refreshing original neroli fragrance but didn't want to admit that roughly 10 fl. oz. of your favorite cologne can be had for under $40, you can now say you wear a Tom Ford. If Tom Ford is out of your budget, you can settle for 4711 until you save up enough to rock the hottest, FIFI-winning perfume in town (2012 UK FIFI Men's, Limited Distribution), and even enjoy the perks of having a similar color motif of turquoise and gold adorn your dresser or bathroom cabinet. But I'm sure you and other well-trained noses would be able to pick out the differences once you've worn both and have tested them side-by-side.




I don't remember why I stopped wearing 4711 (when I do, it usually has to do with my assessment of the dry down), and I no longer own it to be able to give you a definitive comparison, but I can tell you Neroli Portofino wears very consistently in linear fashion, meaning the scent stays true from when I first spritz it on, to when it fades, quite like a fade out on a record, performed by an engineer on a fader button on a mixing board at a recording studio, instead of in a classic pyramid style where each note depending on evaporation rate fades according to its own molecular weight, meaning, naturally, that the top notes fade out first, heart or middle notes at an intermediate rate, base notes last. Technological advances allow citrus lovers to spritz on their favorite aroma that happens to be light and fleeting, only to find it can now last longer - I say that's welcome progress!


According to Perfume Intelligence, the notes in 4711 Original (Created by Wilhelm Mülhens, 1792) are bergamot, orange, neroli, rose, musk, vetiver and sandalwood. The same site lists citrus, floral notes and amber for Tom Ford Neroli Portofino (filed under "Tom Ford Private Collection"); Nordstrom lists the following for Tom Ford Private Blend 'Neroli Portofino' Eau de Parfum: bergamot, lemon, mandarin, lavender, myrtle, rosemary, orange bitter, Egyptian jasmine, neroli, orange blossom water, pittosporum, woody amber accord, ambrette seeds, angelica root. This is a scent I'd like to have in soap, candles, just about everything the line has to offer.