Sunday, August 19, 2012

Lady Gaga FAME: Scent Strip Testing No.1



By now, everyone in the universe has heard about the launching of Lady Gaga FAME fragrance, "the first ever black perfume" lauded by Vogue as being the most innovative in eons (paraphrased). I only have the scent strip sample in the September issue of Cosmopolitan magazine to test with, but I will post my impressions based on this first sampling, and then later when I have a chance to try the real perfume on my skin.

I gotta tell you, it smells fruity. It isn't at all the "blood and semen" perfume that was supposed to be edgier than anything that ever had a smell before, although, without ever having smelled its predecessor, Etat Libre d'Orange Sécrétions Magnifiques, which was supposedly based on blood, sweat, sperm and saliva, it does in fact possess a certain body secretion-type note that I can detect in passing - but does it smell specifically like semen? Since it's just a simulated note, it could just as well pass for snot. How would I know what semen in a perfume would smell like, anyway?

My tween daughter and I like this scent, especially because we're both not only fans of Lady Gaga but of the mango-passionfruit note that's fresh and girly, instantly likable, reminiscent of other favorites such as Kirra (pink) by PacSun, Escada Sexy Graffiti, Philosophy Love Sweet Love and Rimmel London Glam.

I'd say it's sort of a cross between Kirra and Vera Wang Rock Princess, a dark berry scent with a patchouli base, fairly typical of ladies' scents that came out in the past 5 years or so. If you've smelled Bath & Body Works Blackberry and Amber, it's sort of like that. Lady Gaga FAME is not what I'd call a fruitchouli but it has a hint of that familiar, mainstream composition weaving through the otherwise fresh, almost peachy scent, to give it either some depth or that "blood" aspect artistically rendered with the berry-patch woods. Who knows? Perfume, like Gaga's music, is first and foremost all about fun.


Related link: Lady Gaga Fame - Testing No.2
PINK MANHATTAN August 30, 2012