Sunday, December 16, 2012

Lancôme Trésor Midnight Rose



It's late in the game to fall in love with yet another scent, but you know what they say: better late than never, right? This is going on my Christmas list. The notes listed are raspberry, rose, vanilla and musk, but I smell pink grapefruit right off the bat, and although it's been years since I wore anything grapefruity like Yves Saint Laurent Baby Doll, I like it. It has fruity elements but Lancôme Trésor Midnight Rose (2011) is sophisticated, plush and subtly gourmand sweet, actually more of a candy floss-fruitchouli than a Floral, albeit quieter than Lancôme's other recent offering, La Vie est Belle which I'd compare to Elie Saab. Trésor Midnight Rose might be closer to, say, Penhaligon's Amaranthine, but even more ethereal. My tween girl and I can share our love for Trésor Midnight Rose; her other favorites don't do much for me: Viva la Juicy, Viva la Fleur, Someday, but you get the idea--Trésor Midnight Rose is complex enough to be a proper perfume, yet gentle enough for young people and non-regular perfume wearers.



I'm sorry I was never a huge fan of Lancôme's superstar, the original Trésor (1990) now considered a vintage classic, but Lancôme has won me over with this sleeper hit of a home run.


Emma Watson for Lancôme Trésor Midnight Rose campaign


(Edited to add) Lancôme Trésor Midnight Rose was composed by perfumer Anne Flipo, who also composed my favorite ethereal white floral beauty, L'Artisan Parfumeur La Chasse Aux Papillons (1999).