Friday, March 29, 2013

Tom Ford Private Blend Jardin Noir Café Rose (A review and an announcement)



Ahh, coffee! The aroma and taste are a staple in the life of a New Yorker as much as bagels, pizza and chocolate. Although the delightfully aromatic combination of rose and coffee has been done before in perfume bestsellers such as Cacharel Noa, nothing I've smelled has ever smelled quite like coffee. I had high hopes for Tom Ford to bring out the rich coffee aroma in his new Cafe Rose--an intoxicating coffee note as smooth as the satiny brown hue of the roses in the fragrance ad. Did I get what I'd hoped for? Not only is the coffee note absent, but so is the rose! The one thing Cafe Rose promised is the noir in Jardin Noir (the name of the Private Blend collection), if you can call a smoky incense perfume "noir" (and why not?). So perhaps Cafe Rose is an appropriate perfume for Easter, to get you in the Three Kings incense blend kind of mood, but as for me, I'm going to have to do a little rose-and-coffee blending of my own to get my floral gourmand fix this weekend. If all goes well, you'll be able to get some of my new blend this year (after me...sorry, I don't mean to be exclusive about it but I must experiment on myself first, for the sake of product testing).

Incidentally, I've been reading a bit on the new coffee essential oil that's hit the aromatherapy and culinary shelves. I'd love to use it (even though the fragrance oil smells terrific, too, and that's probably what's being used in these prestige perfumes, anyway), but since there isn't a whole lot of info on its long term uses in perfumes yet, I'll have to get back to you about making this blend an all natural perfume, either for myself or for sale. Sorry again, but no promises. I have vegan friends and would love to do something like that in the future, but for now, my penchant for product safety keeps my passion going as a mixed media perfumer. I can say the new blend will incorporate a good deal of naturals, and the final result will show that. Stay tuned to this blog for more details regarding new 2013 perfume launches.

HAPPY EASTER (and belated Passover)
from Pink Manhattan!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Added on 3/31/13: Fragrant Musings: Pros and Cons of Coffee Absolute / Essential Oil - PINK MANHATTAN