Monday, June 10, 2013

Spring-Summer 2013 Top 10 Fragrance List



It's been a season full of contrasts for me, although things in life aren't always so predictably black and white. In fact the grey areas are what keep life interesting, letting us create or act on impulse, making us feel alive with change. Speaking of change, has your taste in fragrance ever fluctuated or morphed outright? I can't say mine has completely changed, for I still tend to be attracted to the same basic notes and styles: white florals, sweet ambery-vanillic notes, serene sandalwood, fresh fruits and flowers, and the aromatic-herbaceous center of the fragrance wheel. What's different lately is how much contrast my favorite perfumes have against one another, violently ranging in depth and ethereal qualities, from mystery to illumination. Maybe my taste is becoming more centered, where taste can run hot and cold like the polar shift of the Earth's magnetic fields or the bubbling ebullience of the white hot heat of molten steel (and please forgive me for any Atlas Shrugged references, because reading it every night is bound to color some of my thoughts).

The word in the perfumed blogosphere is that Oriental fragrances are all the rage, influences coming from seemingly all of Asia. While I'm not falling for every oud, incense or spice that pops up on the shelves, I'm enjoying my share of the "exotic"--any version of Shalimar fits that bill, and La Fille de Berlin is a masterful spicy rose. However, the warm weather inevitably brings fresh scents into the picture, and so my current wardrobe consists of sweet golden blooms and dewy aquatic florals, as well as lemon pound cakes with a subtle moist glaze, my preferred style of Pink Sugar, all of whose neighbors are compositions from another time, place and experience, difficult to define in mainstream terms, and animalic at their secret core.

Truth be known, I haven't worn fragrance as regularly as usual, but only because I'm in the final phase of testing my own perfumes which I plan to launch this year. There's lots to be done before I can unveil this project, but the scents will be sexy, smart and artsy but wearably delicious fragrances of the finest quality I can offer. I hope you will celebrate with me when it happens. No doubt some of the same qualities found in my wardrobe as of late will reflect in my compositions, as you, my audience, can probably see more objectively than I.

When I find downtime from experimenting and analyzing, I seek renewal in my eclectic wardrobe which I have handpicked for Spring-Summer 2013 in NY. Here at the head of June, emotions are lighted with anticipation of summer; it's been a succession of hot and muggy New York days and nights, but I'm trying to stay cool, as fresh as a daisy in my aprés bain elixir.

Top 10
1. Serge Lutens Gris Clair
2. BCBG Max Azria Bon Chic
3. Guerlain Shalimar Eau Legere Parfumee (Shalimar Light)
4. Arlington Cologne
5. Serge Lutens La Fille de Berlin
6. Chanel N°22 parfum
7. Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur
8. Guerlain Jicky
9. Rich Hippie Devotion
10. Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour L'Ete 2013