Thursday, August 01, 2013

Balenciaga Florabotanica



I haven't worn Balenciaga perfumes very much in my lifetime, although I have sought them out to try: Le Dix, Michelle, the new house signature and flanker, and probably my favorite among them, Florabotanica. Green is the operative word, the leaves and mint creating an aura reminiscent of galbanum; I picture an ivory white rose so verdant in its center, it competes with the color of its leaves and stem. It's a clean yet somewhat perfumey floral-soap accord; I often refer to a scratch-and-sniff perfume in the pages of a Japanese magazine when I was growing up, a scent I find from time to time in Issey Miyake perfumes and a handful of others, but I detect it in Florabotanica as well.

Fresh and bright, not very sweet but not without the nectar that makes a flower an irresistible thing of beauty, Florabotanica is a lovely balance between a salty beach skin scent with its hint of fresh air, and a citric green floral along the lines of Escada Lily Chic. The rose note is slightly warm, modern and comparable to many of the new guards including See by Chloe.

Incidentally, I love Lily Chic, a crisp green scent that smells like a bouquet of fruits, flowers, meadows and a summer breeze. Florabotanica is all that plus extra tree sap, a bit vegetal like the main accord in L'Artisan Parfumeur D'Humeur Jalouse (Jealous Mood). If Green Florals are your bet, try Florabotanica and these others, too.

Related articles:

Pierre Balmain Vent Vert - PINK MANHATTAN February 8, 2008

Prescriptives Calyx - PINK MANHATTAN March 5, 2008

Escada Lily Chic