Saturday, August 24, 2013

Disney Collection (Ariel) Kiss the Girl by Sephora




I had such a pleasant time at a Sephora in the boroughs today that I ended up feeling extra spendy; I really wanted to get the Disney Ariel Collection storybook makeup kit for my daughter (she liked the shade Atlantica), but they were sold out of the limited edition item, so I got her a sparkly green NARS (edited: sorry, Urban Decay--if you're interested, the color is Freak) pencil instead, to wear at tomorrow's rock band show where she will be singing. As for me, I wanted a rollerball of Kiss the Girl perfume in the same line of Disney products by Sephora, but I was told by the sweet salesperson/makeup artist that they didn't carry it, and that if they had, she would have bought one, too. Luckily, the perfume was available for testing from a 1.7 fl. oz. bottle with a rhinestone collar on a turquoise band.




As you might have guessed based on the advertisement images from Sephora TV, these Disney by Sephora products are not really meant for little kids, but rather young adults and the general public that likes this sort of dreamy, sparkly thing. I usually do not go for turquoise glitter to wear myself, but I was as drawn to their take on the mermaid theme as my young daughter was. I thought the packaging was very nicely done, from the storybook palette to the compact mirror, and the fragrance packaging was no exception.




The listed notes include ambergris which I didn't catch, but at first whiff, I detected a coconut oil scent, the same one I find in many fragrances following Ralph Lauren Ralph Hot. This note lends a beachy atmosphere, but the overall composition is a light and fresh Marine Floral with melon-y accents of wet cucumber which makes it smell green, and a white floral musk redolent of lilies as I find in Chloe Eau de Parfum and Illuminum White Gardenia Petals, Kate Middleton's wedding fragrance. If I'm to choose what Kiss the Girl most resembles, I'd say it's the latter. In fact, all of these resemble Geir Ness Laila, which was (or perhaps still is) sold at Disney shops.




Perfumistas with an affinity for heavier fragrances will not care for such a sheer floral delight, but the depth of white flowers and sensuous coconut-ambery base notes might turn some people over to the lighter side of seduction. I always wish I can create a scent like this--pleasing for many people of all ages, something that's both well-mannered and effervescent, while being alluring in a not-too-obvious way. I just might go back and splurge on the full bottle.

From Sephora:
NOTES: Bergamot, Wet Cucumber, Ozonic Accord, Water Notes, Wild Lilac, Starfruit, White Musk, Sandalwood, Ambergris

STYLE: Alluring. Romantic. Confident.