Sunday, August 18, 2013

Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gioia, Acqua di Gioia Eau Fraiche



The new scent technology at Sephora that lets you smell digitally sampled perfumes released in the air is truly remarkable, but I'm glad they still offer liquid samples to try on your skin. Perfume shopping is like dating in that it requires that I can live with a scent before I commit to it. Today, I finally tested the offspring of Giorgio Armani's iconic Acqua di Gio, a fresh marine floral called Acqua di Gioia. At first sniff on paper and from the bottle, I smelled something akin to Creed Spring Flower, a longstanding favorite of mine, a fresh floral on a cedar base, with fruity accents of melon, apple and a touch of peach. I knew I liked Acqua di Gioia from the start, but it still needed a test run to see if my initial impression was correct.

On the skin, the scent turns a bit candied and powdery sweet, almost like Pez candy as a backdrop to the light floral blend. I like this stage very much, but the scent progresses into a more obviously aqueous scent with high pitched sportif-like notes. I did however detect the Spring Flower-like elements at the end, primarily a cedary base note and a pleasant heart of white flowers: jasmine Sambac, and borrowing from Acqua di Gio, its mother scent, peony.

I think this is one of the loveliest Marine scents out there, and would recommend it to lovers of other fresh florals like Versace Bright Crystal. By the way, there is an Eau Fraiche version of Acqua di Gioia (the ad features leaves arranged like sunbursts) that smells very similar to it but with slightly more citrus (to my nose redolent of grapefruit).