Friday, October 18, 2013

Polished Nude: The Secret to Finding the Most Perfect Shade



"Nude," they say, is a challenging color to find for your skin type, so I like to mix my own custom colors. My preference for a nude shade for myself is philosophically the same as the general beauty rule for choosing foundation for the face: the most flattering shade is one or two shades lighter than your natural skin tone. (Edited to add: There are exceptions, like this staple dark nude color I just found: check it out on PINK MANHATTAN on Tumblr.)

For the nails, I also go a little warmer or cooler to avoid total "mannequin hands" whereby my nails become almost invisible from matching too well with skin.

Right now, my hands are still tan from the summer, so I'm rockin' a peachy pink beige that's neither yellow nor too pink, just stunning. I made it by mixing Sally Hansen Nude Now (sheer beige) and Wet 'n' Wild Private Viewing / Séance Privée (tan pink beige) as a base for a host of other colors. Other nail polishes I used here include NYC Fashion Safari (opaque beige), OPI My Vampire is Buff (off-white) and Wet n Wild Blazed / Embrasée (coral).

Of course, if anyone knows of a color that looks like the one I made, I'd love to know its name! (Updated on 10/19/13 at 4:12 PM: I've found a color match! Read more about mannequin hands: PINK MANHATTAN on Tumblr.) (Updated on 10/23/13: And another color match here: PINK MANHATTAN on Tumblr)

Added on 11/8/13: PLUS Don't miss the final saga of my search for the perfect mannequin hands at this link.

By the way, I sing and create all sorts of music, too. Listen to my original song "Private Dreams" on Broadjam, home of independent music, where the sultry rave-trance inspired Dance track hit #1 in the US Northeast in March, 2006, and made the Broadjam Earth Top 10 chart in April, 2006. (Download for just $1.)


Updated on 10/19/13 at 2:32 AM: Read more about nude nail colors and a description of my favorite nude beige on the cooler side of the spectrum @ PINK MANHATTAN on Tumblr.